• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ratings

Oldiesgal

Inactive
Inactive User
Well, they are out and no opinions? Being a silly woman, my favorite stations did real well. WDUV, WWRM and WSJT. Actually, think of WDUV as "Jack Lite".They play music from the 40's,50's,60's,70's and 80's. They mix them all up with say Frank Sinatra followed by Madonna, followed by Stevie Wonder. They are mostly jockless. So "Jack" is here already, but I'd call it "Jill".

But as usuall, bet nobody responds because one wit called radio boards a place for men! Must be the jerk gene.

> Well, they are out and no opinions? Being a silly woman, my
> favorite stations did real well. WDUV, WWRM and WSJT.
> Actually, think of WDUV as "Jack Lite".They play music from
> the 40's,50's,60's,70's and 80's. They mix them all up with
> say Frank Sinatra followed by Madonna, followed by Stevie
> Wonder. They are mostly jockless. So "Jack" is here already,
> but I'd call it "Jill".

No offense, but WDUV is definitely not a Jack station. WDUV is an extremely SOFT A/C combined with Adult Standards.
Jack on the other hand is much more uptempo music-wise. Most of the music is from the 80s and 90s, although there's also a good amount of 70s, and even some music from the past 5 years.

Don't kid yourself into thinking Tampa already has Jack. If anything, WRBQ is much closer to the Jack format, and to some degree Mix 100.7.

> Actually, think of WDUV as "Jack Lite".

I don't normally talk about ratings because the only numbers I have access to are the 12+ overall from radio and records - and those are meaningless for most purposes. I want to know the specifics, which I know can't really be discussed in any detail on this board anyway.

I get what you're saying about WDUV being "Jack Lite", but I just can't listen to a jockless radio station for any length of time. Personalities are more important to me than the music. I'll listen to stations sometimes just for the jocks even if I can't stand the music they're playing.

Which Dove station are you referring to, Oldiesgal? WDUV 105.5in New Port Richey, or WDDV 92.1 in Venice? They no longer are the same.

> > Well, they are out and no opinions? Being a silly woman,
> my
> > favorite stations did real well. WDUV, WWRM and WSJT.
> > Actually, think of WDUV as "Jack Lite".They play music
> from
> > the 40's,50's,60's,70's and 80's. They mix them all up
> with
> > say Frank Sinatra followed by Madonna, followed by Stevie
> > Wonder. They are mostly jockless. So "Jack" is here
> already,
> > but I'd call it "Jill".
>
> No offense, but WDUV is definitely not a Jack station. WDUV
> is an extremely SOFT A/C combined with Adult Standards.
> Jack on the other hand is much more uptempo music-wise. Most
> of the music is from the 80s and 90s, although there's also
> a good amount of 70s, and even some music from the past 5
> years.
>
> Don't kid yourself into thinking Tampa already has Jack. If
> anything, WRBQ is much closer to the Jack format, and to
> some degree Mix 100.7.
>

92.1 is Lite FM - hasn't been Dove since before Xmas

> Which Dove station are you referring to, Oldiesgal? WDUV
> 105.5in New Port Richey, or WDDV 92.1 in Venice? They no
> longer are the same.
>
>
> > > Well, they are out and no opinions? Being a silly woman,
>
> > my
> > > favorite stations did real well. WDUV, WWRM and WSJT.
> > > Actually, think of WDUV as "Jack Lite".They play music
> > from
> > > the 40's,50's,60's,70's and 80's. They mix them all up
> > with
> > > say Frank Sinatra followed by Madonna, followed by
> Stevie
> > > Wonder. They are mostly jockless. So "Jack" is here
> > already,
> > > but I'd call it "Jill".
> >
> > No offense, but WDUV is definitely not a Jack station.
> WDUV
> > is an extremely SOFT A/C combined with Adult Standards.
> > Jack on the other hand is much more uptempo music-wise.
> Most
> > of the music is from the 80s and 90s, although there's
> also
> > a good amount of 70s, and even some music from the past 5
> > years.
> >
> > Don't kid yourself into thinking Tampa already has Jack.
> If
> > anything, WRBQ is much closer to the Jack format, and to
> > some degree Mix 100.7.
> >
>

> Actually, think of WDUV as "Jack Lite".They play music from
> the 40's,50's,60's,70's and 80's. They mix them all up with

A common misconception is that any station with variety in its playlist is the same as JACK-FM. That's not the case at all. This isn't the place for that debate; check out the Variety Hits board if you want to see that discussion.

As for the ratings, WWRM and WSJT should be happy with this first trend. With WDUV, well they're in their usual 12+ spot. I haven't seen the breakdown, but past ratings books have indicated that the station does not have 25-54 numbers to make it any sort of serious player in the market as far as that key demo goes. It's a great example of why the 12+ numbers are rather meaningless.

But with that said, WDUV has a ton of listeners, albeit in a demo that is unattractive to many advertisers. But I'd also think that WDUV keeps the pie bigger, i.e. people listen to WDUV who otherwise wouldn't listen to terrestrial radio or who would buy satellite radio to hear what they want.

I'm a little surprised that WFUS got off to a slow start, though the promotional blitz didn't begin until a few weeks after the flip. Interesting that Outlaw beat them, though I think the more Outlaw differentiates itself playlist-wise from WQYK (and I'm talking about songs getting top spins for the week), the better off it will be.

> But as usuall, bet nobody responds because one wit called radio boards a
> place for men! Must be the jerk gene.

This isn't the Elk's Lodge. If you have something worthwhile to post, I say post it. I don't recommend predicting that "nobody" will respond when you're writing your initial post on a topic... That makes you come across like you have a chip on your shoulder, which isn't exactly the best way to foster open communication.<P ID="signature">______________
Lou Pickney
Tampa, FL
RadioHotTalk.com & VarietyHits.com</P>

True. And OldiesGal, if you haven't heard 92.1 WLTQ recently, they are GREAT. It's a well executed lite A/C format. I was plesantly surprised.

Actually 92.1 hasn't been "The Dove" since summer of 2003. They've been Lite-FM since 12/26/04 and oficially WLTQ since 2/15/05.

I'll agree that 92.1 was a bit of a suprise last time I was down that way and gave them a listen.

At times I do listen to The Dove (105.5), it is a pre-set on my car radio and occasionally I'll hear a song that I haven't heard in years. But I also can't listen to a jock-less/no personality/computer for any length of time. I can't stand those same recorded liners from that old-guy announcer who talks like my Dad. Those things haven't changed in years and although I might be able to handle one or two songs, I have to change quickly after that.

What an unusual radio situation to have a station like that #1 12+ for so long in a market, even though it has no demos, low ad rates, and isn't really a player in the world of real radio we all love and hate.

> I'll agree that 92.1 was a bit of a suprise last time I was
> down that way and gave them a listen.
>
> At times I do listen to The Dove (105.5), it is a pre-set on
> my car radio and occasionally I'll hear a song that I
> haven't heard in years. But I also can't listen to a
> jock-less/no personality/computer for any length of time. I
> can't stand those same recorded liners from that old-guy
> announcer who talks like my Dad. Those things haven't
> changed in years and although I might be able to handle one
> or two songs, I have to change quickly after that.
>
> What an unusual radio situation to have a station like that
> #1 12+ for so long in a market, even though it has no demos,
> low ad rates, and isn't really a player in the world of real
> radio we all love and hate.

The DOVE really needs personalities. How about Marti Ryan and Bobby Rich to start. I assume the 3 guys on WGUL wil be unemployed soon.

> They mix them all up with

WDUV is more of a standards station by default.

> > They mix them all up with
> > say Frank Sinatra followed by Madonna, followed by Stevie
> > Wonder. They are mostly jockless. So "Jack" is here
> already,
> > but I'd call it "Jill".
>
> WDUV is more of a standards station by default.
>

Have you listened lately? Other than Sinatra (and maybe one or two songs still around by Andy Williams or Johnny Mathis) almost all the standards are gone from The Dove.

They still play one or two instrumentals per hour (around :35 by day, :05 and :35 by night).

But mostly it's very soft AC. Yes, there are artists that no AC plays anymore like the Carpenters and Barry Manilow. But at least they had Top 20 hits in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I wouldn't consider them standards artists.

Gregg
[email protected]

> The DOVE really needs personalities. How about Marti Ryan
> and Bobby Rich to start. I assume the 3 guys on WGUL wil be
> unemployed soon.

Isn't Bobby Rich now PD/MD down at WOLL, Kool 105.5 in West Palm Beach which does VERY well in their ratings? Might take a bit to bring him back. Marti Ryan is a fantastic talent I think, and it was wonderful to hear on Mix again recently - couldn't believe it when they let her go, and someone should snap her up soon... a great talent there.
<P ID="signature">______________
Owen

http://ury.york.ac.uk/owen</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom