• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rams a Bigger Draw in Old Market Than New

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/rams-a-bigger-draw-in-old-market-than-new/183337

Apparently this is the ratings for the Rams in Saint Louis

It seems Los Angeles viewers aren’t warming up to its newest NFL team.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports a larger percentage of St. Louis market viewers watched their former team than those in its new hometown of Los Angeles.

Nielsen, which tracks viewership, reports that 10.6 percent of homes with a TV in St. Louis tuned in to see the Rams trudge to a 24-3 loss Thursday night to Seattle in their most recent contest. The figure in LA was 10.2. (The game was shown on NBC and NFL Network in both markets, and the ratings cited are the combined numbers for those outlets.)
The Post-Dispatch reports the Rams viewership is down overall. Last year, the team averaged a 17, even with the rumors of a relocation.

In raw numbers more people are watching Rams telecasts in LA than in St. Louis because of the vast difference in population (a ratings point represents approximately 522,000 homes in Los Angeles, roughly 12,200 in St. Louis). But the rating measures market share in order to present a much more apples-to-apples comparison.

Perhaps Psychology 101. By that I mean some St. Louis fans can't let go, perhaps some are still rooting for them, or some may be wishing them to lose. Bottom line, kind of hard to let go to a team that moves away. Same thing for me when the Sonics departed for Oklahoma City, though I won't say which emotion above I experienced.

Another reason could be that many fans switched alliances after the Rams left and now follow either USC or UCLA. Given the comback year the Trojans have had they must have gathered a good number of additional fans.

Interesting that the ratings are down both in LA and St. Louis. However, this probably cements San Diego moving the Chargers to L.A. I would expect that competition between the two franchises in L.A. will in the end be a good thing as whoever can win the battle will be "The" NFL team in L.A. Unfortunately, both teams are in the bottom half of NFL teams with no real ability to climb out anytime soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom