• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio-What a joke!

T

TheLaffer

I really do feel sorry for the people in Radio now. The GM's, Consultants, Investors, VP's all act like there on dope. I've never seen stations change the much. It's just downright foolish. No wonder RADIO is a bad investment.

Damn neurotics have taken over!! Sad very sad :'(

Oh, for the days when the office people favored alcohol, and the DJs were the ones on drugs....

At least then the result made for interesting listening.
And the drugs weren't so virulent as today's.

I was trying to think of a way to put the "state of radio" into a nutshell. So I decided to go to the Southern California Broadcasters Association website for a good example. Here is one. This is for a job in market number 17.

Programming
BOARD OPERATORS (PT)
CLEAR CHANNEL SAN DIEGO
Board Operators (PT) All FM's (job reference #PD1906-03): This position will be responsible for running multiple radio stations at one time, keeping them on-time, getting giveaways, running EAS tests, and any other related technical duties. Must be able to work flexible hours including nights, overnights, holidays, and weekends. Knowledge of NexGen and board preferred but willing to train. Candidate must be able to work with people in a fast-paced environment. High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Human Resources 9660 Granite Ridge Drive; San Diego, CA 92123 Fax: 858-522-5708 - OR -EMAIL [email protected]
Submitted: 12/14 EEO Deadline: 01/31/07

http://www.scba.com/Article.asp?id=177803&spid=7873

In the near future, I wouldn't be surprised to see that same part-time board-op position also require handling orders at a newly-installed fast-food drive-through window, asking "would you like fries and a coke with that?" Really sad for "radio".

vsa said:
I was trying to think of a way to put the "state of radio" into a nutshell. So I decided to go to the Southern California Broadcasters Association website for a good example. Here is one. This is for a job in market number 17.

Programming
BOARD OPERATORS (PT)
CLEAR CHANNEL SAN DIEGO
Board Operators (PT) All FM's (job reference #PD1906-03): This position will be responsible for running multiple radio stations at one time, keeping them on-time, getting giveaways, running EAS tests, and any other related technical duties. Must be able to work flexible hours including nights, overnights, holidays, and weekends. Knowledge of NexGen and board preferred but willing to train. Candidate must be able to work with people in a fast-paced environment. High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Human Resources 9660 Granite Ridge Drive; San Diego, CA 92123 Fax: 858-522-5708 - OR -EMAIL [email protected]
Submitted: 12/14 EEO Deadline: 01/31/07

http://www.scba.com/Article.asp?id=177803&spid=7873

In the near future, I wouldn't be surprised to see that same part-time board-op position also require handling orders at a newly-installed fast-food drive-through window, asking "would you like fries and a coke with that?" Really sad for "radio".

This is why I'm in small market...and I LOVE IT!!!

VSA said:
Herb Scott of WPAZ 1370 radio wanted to do that decades ago. He wanted to put a grill and drive through window in the control room. Seriously!

SUPERCASTER said:
VSA said:
Herb Scott of WPAZ 1370 radio wanted to do that decades ago. He wanted to put a grill and drive through window in the control room. Seriously!

I can see it now..."Fat 1370...with The Greaseman in the morning!" Get Doug Tracht on the phone!

I work in ... oh, market 500 or so, and have had to run three stations at one time...It was one year ago today, actually. Reason was a shortage over the holiday, but things such as this do happen in small markets too.

One newscaster does news for 4 stations in the same town, etc.

PTBoardOp94 said:
I work in ... oh, market 500 or so, and have had to run three stations at one time...It was one year ago today, actually. Reason was a shortage over the holiday, but things such as this do happen in small markets too.

One newscaster does news for 4 stations in the same town, etc.

The setup at my own station pretty much involves the same thing. We have three stations under one roof (two AM's and an FM). Because we are a small market operation, it works best for us since our AM's are very full-service oriented, and we're able to have more resources to serve the listeners of those stations (i.e. news, local sports, talk, etc.). I also voice-track a six-hour night shift for the FM side. My former experience as a jock before I became a newsman makes it sound better than a wall-to-wall jukebox without any human element.

The advantage for us is, because we do voicetrack many dayparts, we are ON SITE local announcers. The only difference here is that we don't do the jock shows in real time, outside of AM drive. We can still record a break with a weather bulletin or other such element immediately and drop it in there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom