• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Networks Exclusively for Part 15

I look at the offerings for high-end commercial radio (i.e. Dial Global, Jones, etc) and wonder; could such a provider be set up for Part 15?

Radio Brandy has a few channels, and so does Mix Networks. But for news/talk, sports and other basic genres are there other networks that cater primarily to the Part 15 broadcaster?

The problem is the costs in operating it and what do you charge a Part 15 operator? Those who are more hobby oriented aren't going to have significant dollars to spend (or would be willing to) for a service. Those operating in a school or university level may be more apt to justify and afford such a service, however.

For us, it's the cost of streaming, and our limited pipeline. We would love to add more News and other talk programming, and have been working on it for years. We would prefer distributing our programming via KU Band satellite, but the cost is a bit steep on the up link side; our last quote was $1,800 a month for one mono channel 12 hours a day. The benefit of KU Band satellite, is that the cost of receiving equipment is relatively low, coming in under $300. Stations don't need broadband, and the receiver can easily be solar or wind powered.

One program provider we used in the early days, had 6 channels; offering old time radio, several talk formats and a oldies channel. Satellite cost and lack of financial resources finally buried the Florida based network. I think the programmer was a little ahead of their time, very few broadcasters even knew the programming was there, and Part 15 AM broadcasting was just started to take off when the programming vanished.

Our streams are maxed out for now, we are still working on relocating to and area down the road that has active Fios. After the move, we will be able to open up our streams to more broadcasters. All we need now is the funding, but with an unemployment rate of 10.5% here, and the overall economic meltdown, money is getting pretty tight around the radio campus. On the flip side, real estate is dropping like a rock, making our new location more reasonable.

With the mass firings in the corporate broadcast community, talent should be allot easier to find for the part 15 broadcaster!

Steve
www.radiobrandy.com

XRQKFM said:
For us, it's the cost of streaming, and our limited pipeline. We would love to add more News and other talk programming, and have been working on it for years. We would prefer distributing our programming via KU Band satellite, but the cost is a bit steep on the up link side; our last quote was $1,800 a month for one mono channel 12 hours a day. The benefit of KU Band satellite, is that the cost of receiving equipment is relatively low, coming in under $300. Stations don't need broadband, and the receiver can easily be solar or wind powered.

Steve,

There is actually a satellite network who is doing this. Please take a look at Access America (http://www.access-america.net). Access America airs on Galaxy 25 (soon to be Galaxy 19) Ku-band.

I started the Access America Radio Network in December of last year solely to provide a venue for programmers to distribute their programming. Simply, I try to provide low cost syndication.

There is at least one AM station, one LPFM and a couple of Part 15 stations that receive several shows via satellite from Access America. And of course there are the Direct-To-Home listeners that listen to Access America on a regular basis. Some like the distributed programming, others the old-time Jazz I play as filler. Unfortunately, satellite, unlike Internet, does not provide a listener count. The programming is free to everybody. However, from stations, including Part 15, I request that they notify me when they re-broadcast Access America.

As you pointed out, the satellite broadcast cost are high, but the receiving equipment is inexpensive. Low enough that AM, LPFM and Part 15 stations can afford it.

To overcome the high priced satellite bandwidth and uplink cost, I started selling air time by the hour at a very reasonable price. Some months I break even, other months I have to add some money. I hope one day this hobby pays off!

If you have some shows you want to uplink don't hesitate to sent me an e-mail.

Ralf
http://www.access-america.net

It really does depend on what type of format you are using. Here at WCRV, we do a "rare gold" type 70's format. But we have specials. I mentioned one of them in a post below which unfortunately did not get many replies or inquiries.

There are also any number of programs (talk, music) that can be taken off the computer, downloaded, and scheduled to run whenever you decide to run it.

Our most popular program is produced in the U.K. and it is called Album Zone. Johnny Reece, who owns AZ, has six different disc jockeys, all of whom have a specialty show.
One show is album tracks, which Johnny does, another is progressive rock, another is punk/new wave, and there are three other formats including one program produced here in the US, sent to the U.K. for processing.

The thing about AZ is: all the shows are on a website. You click on the program you want to download, and that is it. You can download all of them and each week there is a new program on by one of the hosts (you never know which one in advance it will be!)
There is also an archive of shows from the past; there are a lot to choose from. Best of all, the show runs 2 hours, with an avail at the top of the hour for your station ID. Here at our station, it runs flawlessly. The production values are so high you will think the show is originating from your own studio.

If you would like information about Album Zone (free), write to me and I'll send you some info and Johnny Reece's address. Johnny would love to have AZ on as many part 15's as possible. AND, he also recorded a couple killer promos for us and station ID's. Zowie (a girl with a fab voice) has been doing our station ID's now for a while, and we just love them.

We are also looking at running some old time radio shows which are free to get off the internet...........so, KU's and such are really good things if you can afford them, but you can even get some interesting talk off of NPR if you are interested in something like that.

We run a program called "Comedy Club" (which is produced by my brother)...he does it on cassette (soon to be CD) and it runs one hour. It is easily dubbed to the computer and it airs exactly when we want it to. He also does ID's. A couple examples of recent shows was a one hour Cheech and Chong Retrospective, one was all silly commercials (some real, some were produced "funnies...all professsional), a very recent show was stand up comics like Bill Cosby and George Carlin, he did one about all different types of jobs, and I know he is working on a Weird AL Yankovick show right now. Actually he's done about 25 for us so far and we keep them in the computer and rerun them. Last year he did a Halloween show so of course that is running this week, and he did a great Christmas show (all the funny songs, of course).

I would think he would ask for a little money basically for the cost of the tape or CD and the postage, because he does the shows for our station anyway. But if you are interested in that, email me and I'll give you his email addy and some more info.

If you are intested in either of these shows, email me. Subject: AZ/Comedy Club to
[email protected]
Carl

I see Access America Radio Network has WOLF FM on it, I might switch two of our stations to Access America Radio Network, one station might be tape delayed, so we can air Wolf during the day. I will have to move our satellite dish, because trees block G25.

Ralf, I will let you know when we add your programming, one KU band advantage is that the receivers never get hit by viruses. If you have an old Primestar antenna, you can save money by converting them for KU simply by changing the LNB.

Steve
Radio Brandy

Shoreline said:
There is actually a satellite network who is doing this. Please take a look at Access America (http://www.access-america.net). Access America airs on Galaxy 25 (soon to be Galaxy 19) Ku-band.

Ralf,

Does this mean you're leaving Galaxy 25? I know some folks here in the Northeast (myself included) that due to geographical limitations we can just get Galaxy 25 but more than likely Galaxy 19 wouldn't be useable due to terrestrial obstructions beyond our control.

If you're interested in an internet fed talkshow, we provide a 192kbps mono feed with tones for commercial breaks, show runs 7pm CST 5 days a week. PM or email matt at krbx.com if you want some more info, and there are archives in my sig.

Bill DeFelice said:
Shoreline said:

Ralf,

Does this mean you're leaving Galaxy 25? I know some folks here in the Northeast (myself included) that due to geographical limitations we can just get Galaxy 25 but more than likely Galaxy 19 wouldn't be useable due to terrestrial obstructions beyond our control.

Not to worry. Galaxy 19 will replace Galaxy 25 in the next few weeks. You don't have to change your dish. Maybe rescan the satellite with your FTA receiver.

Ralf

If syndication goes away from satellite because of expense I assume the next jump is through the internet. Easily accomplished with those Barix boxes, the decoder ones are fairly cheap and the host of the content doesn't need one, just a shoutcast encoder and feed server.

I hope this helps, I provide a weekly short format cooking show every Wed. Its in two formats. One budget cooking with a homestyle feel and the other is about grilling, BBQ and tailgates. Its free and emailed weekly - Every Wed. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Since joining this board I have gotten some great advice on audio programing, formats, production and more. So my quality has gone up quite a bit since I started.

Shoot me an email if you wish.

Thanks - Kent

Please join me and guests for tonight's Satellite Talk on Access America.
from 9 PM EST to 12 AM EST.

In the first hour we hear from Mike Kohl again and the latest satellite
news.

In hour two, we have the latest Broadcast News and take a look at CNN's
debut of the "Hologram" technology. If time allows, we take a look at the
latest tech gadgets for the upcoming shopping season.

In the final hour, Crafty is teaching us on how to master Windows Vista. We
close out with tips on how to stream your radio show on the Internet and
satellite, and take a look at various equipment you need for that.

As always, we like to take your calls at 504-208-3881.

For listen links and satellite coordinates, please go to

Thank you,
Ralf Black

The Liberty Radio Network has launched publicly today. Airing the latest liberty-oriented podcasts from the internet and live shows from our studio in Keene, NH, 24/7 at http://libertyradionetwork.com

Feel free to use LRN on your station, but please let me know if you come onboard!

There are some great low power program providers out there. Several have already been mentioned here on the board. However, don't be affraid to approach the big providers like Westwood One, etc. It took me some leg work but was able to get Air America programming from Westwood One for my station, Green 1640 in Atlanta (www.zypradio.com). They were very hungry to get an affiliate here but none of the full power stations were willing to chance the progressive talk format in such a conservative market. My part 15 station works well as it is located in an area that is heavily populated with Democrats. Air America was very accomadating to get us on there. All of their shows are on a barter basis and costs me nothing. They even worked with me to estabilsh a Barix link to receive the content without the need to purchase satellite equipment. Send me an email and I can get their contact information to you.

[email protected]

There is also a part 15 station in Flagstaff, AZ carrying Fox Sports and is doing very well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom