• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Question About Hot 100

Does anyone know the current workings of Billboard's Hot 100? Last week's #1 song was replaced by the one from the previous week. What is interesting is that it dropped to #2 while retaining its bullet, as the previous chart topper returned to #1 without a bullet. I'm not sure how this is possible.

So many factors go into the formula to calculate which song ends up at each position, it's ridiculous . All I've heard is streaming (iTunes, You Tube..etc..), sales (downloads mainly) and airplay. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess. It's a point system of some sort.

Which week are you talking about? #1 and #2 have been the same for a few weeks.

The bullet indicates growth. It's possible for a song to continue to grow, but not get enough points to make it to #1. Meanwhile another song has stopped growing, loses its bullet, but is at a point that's still high enough to chart #1.

Which week are you talking about? #1 and #2 have been the same for a few weeks.

The bullet indicates growth. It's possible for a song to continue to grow, but not get enough points to make it to #1. Meanwhile another song has stopped growing, loses its bullet, but is at a point that's still high enough to chart #1.

My post was from June 6th and as I recall, the previous week's #1 song dropped to #2 while retaining its bullet. At the same time, the previous #2 moved up to #1 without a bullet. Given your explanation, there must have been an awfully fine line to cross. You're saying that a song can stop growing but still be strong enough to return to the the #1 spot at the same time as another song that's still growing but not enough to override the first song, can drop to #2? That sounds nearly impossible on the face of it. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
That sounds nearly impossible on the face of it. Am I missing something?

You asked how the chart works, and I gave you the answer. The problem with Billboard is they don't show the actual points a song has, but that's what the chart is based on. So it's hard to be specific about how it happened. Subscribers to the chart can get the numbers, and if there's a dispute, the label can challenge. Apparently there was no dispute.

You asked how the chart works, and I gave you the answer. The problem with Billboard is they don't show the actual points a song has, but that's what the chart is based on. So it's hard to be specific about how it happened. Subscribers to the chart can get the numbers, and if there's a dispute, the label can challenge. Apparently there was no dispute.

Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom