• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

PSA - Pre-Sunrise Authority

The 4100 watt PSA for WFDF indicates that the DA-1 pattern already fully protected most stations, or possibly to overcome the WRNL 5000 watt nondirectional Day facility interference. 4100 watts is the highest seen on any History Cards I've looked at. That also indicates to me that they should have gone 5000 watts Night in 1957 when the Day 5000 watt facility was built, because it protected all or almost all the III-As and III-Bs with the DA pattern. The only exception was possibly WSUI. As I recall, WSUI used to be a Specified Hours station which signed off at 8:00 PM. That allowed KGLC/KVIS to blast into the Midwest with just 1000 watts with their Figure 8 pattern to the East and West.
The WSUI history cards indicate that it was licensed for unlimited time, but there were numerous STAs for reduced operating hours during vacation times at the University of Iowa, in some cases lasting a month or more.

In St. Charles County, Missouri in the 1970s, KGLC was a reliable signal at night. Of course, the pronounciation of "Miami" was distinctive.

Back
Top Bottom