• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Proposed Permanent Daylight Savings Time

I remember working at WKRP Dallas, GA when the station first went on the air in 1979. It is a daytimer. In January the station signed on at 7:45 AM and signed off at 5:30 PM. If we stay on DST, the sign on will be 8:45 AM and sign off at 6:30 PM during January.

Will the FCC give a reprieve to the daytimes like they did during the energy crisis in 1974 when we stayed on DST one year? The FCC order from 1975 is below.

Here is a graphic from The Washington Post and a link to the article.
How permanent daylight saving time would change sunrise and sunset times

latest-sunrise-and-earliest-sunset-with-year-round-daylight-saving-time.png
FCC-74-1086A11024_1.jpgFCC-74-1086A11024_2.jpgFCC-74-1086A11024_3.jpg

Attachments

• FCC-74-1086A1.pdf
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The FCC should let them sign on earlier than 8:45AM, but that would have been far more important 30-40 years ago. That said, virtually no one listens to an AM daytimer, especially in major markets. These days, the best use of daytime AM stations is to be the parent for an FM translator, and what time the AM signs on or off does not affect the translator.

I believe there are some places in rural and non rated areas where there is still some AM action. Also in rural areas there is a lot less man made RF noise which helps. AM translators at best have Class A FM coverage. Good soil conductivity allows an AM signal to be receivable 100 miles or more with under 5KW signals. (examble:KBUF-AM Radio Station Coverage Map verses K296HO-FM Radio Station Coverage Map) . The grain and cattle markets are a big deal and sponsored by companies that serve the farmers. Satellite internet is not portable. Does Satellite radio have a "Farm" channel?

There are some who are saying this vote was a prank, passed when most senators weren't watching.

This article has a comment from the NAB:

The National Association of Broadcasters says it has “some concerns” about the bill even as it recognizes there is broad bipartisan and public support for the idea. A spokesperson says NAB is working with the bill’s authors as well as leadership in the House Energy and Commerce Committee to minimize potential impact on broadcasters.

But I wouldn't put a lot of faith in this becoming law yet.

Last edited:
As I recall, there was some litigation between MTM and the Dallas GA station, but it was ruled that MTM had no standing on the call letters, not being another broadcaster

I remember working at WKRP Dallas, GA when the station first went on the air in 1979. It is a daytimer. In January the station signed on at 7:45 AM and signed off at 5:30 PM. If we stay on DST, the sign on will be 8:45 AM and sign off at 6:30 PM during January.

Will the FCC give a reprieve to the daytimes like they did during the energy crisis in 1974 when we stayed on DST one year? The FCC order from 1975 is below.

Here is a graphic from The Washington Post and a link to the article.
How permanent daylight saving time would change sunrise and sunset times

View attachment 2727
View attachment 2732View attachment 2733View attachment 2734
I'm confused. The signoff/pattern switch time in Portland is 4:45 in January, bottoming out at 4:30 in December. Are you close to the next time zone?

As I recall, there was some litigation between MTM and the Dallas GA station, but it was ruled that MTM had no standing on the call letters, not being another broadcaster
There was some small litigation. The station chose those call letters as early in the application process as possible. MTM filed an objection. As you said, the FCC determined that MTM had no standing because they are not a broadcaster. Call letters cannot be trademarked.

I'm confused. The signoff/pattern switch time in Portland is 4:45 in January, bottoming out at 4:30 in December. Are you close to the next time zone?
The article is behind a paywall unfortunately. There is a great map of the USA that shows all of the sunrise times as the sun moves across the country.

Dallas GA is about 50 miles from the next time zone as the crow flies.

Pre-Sunrise + Post-Sunset Authorization containing policy re: Daylight Saving Time:

Pre-Sunrise (PSRA) authority is not a thing anymore as far as I know. If a station has a copy of the original telegram giving them authorization, then they can do it. Apparently the records at the FCC are no longer there and I cannot remember the explanation for that.
I saw in the Wikipedia article that the rule was revisited in 1981 and everyone can have pre-sunrise just by notifying the FCC (up to 500 watts). For some reason my brain is telling me that is not correct.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom