• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

President's Day

Okay, so for whom is this a holiday anymore? All government employees get it, and most schools are closed, so who else is off? It is a regular work day for those in the media, and for nearly everyone in the private sector.

This is NOT one of those holidays that it seems like nearly everyone gets off (like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.) but yet it is NOT just another day on the calendar, like Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Arbor Day, etc.

It is a regular work day for those in the media, and for nearly everyone in the private sector.

Banks and the financial sector take the holiday. The back office part of the media gets a holiday.

Union employees may still have to work, but they often get a holiday penalty, which may be time and a half.

Interesting term: Holiday penalty.

Never heard it put that way, but when I was working in manufacturing, if we worked any company holiday, we got that day paid, plus time-and-a-half for each hour worked. If the work was available, I took it on "secondary" holidays like President's Day, the day after Thanksgiving, & New Year's Eve. Because of end-of-year inventory and final product shipments, NYE was usually mandatory for the manufacturing group, anyway. Everyone else got it as a holiday if it fell on a weekday.

Interesting term: Holiday penalty.

You prefer "holiday bonus?" The penalty is charged to the company for making the employee work on a holiday.

There's also a meal penalty if you work through a scheduled meal break.

To me, a meal penalty occurs if I get the stomach virus.

Last edited:
"Penalty" for the employer, "bonus" for the worker. Employers have to look at the bottom line, and would probably prefer giving the workers the day off, over paying them time and a half.

I worked in defense electronics in the 1980s. If the contract said that X had to be done by December 31, they made sure they had enough workers to get that job done, or the company paid a penalty. For most of us outside of the design engineering and office people, it was a mandatory work day, even if it fell on a weekend. They paid us very well for that -- even the salaried employees (managers, manufacturing engineers, etc.) got straight time for each hour worked, plus holiday pay.

Also, since our fiscal year ended at the same time, inventory had to be finished by 11:59 PM that day as well, so the materiel, incoming inspection, shipping, & stockroom folks were busy as well. Your tax dollars at work. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom