• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Predictions for Boston Radio in 2017?

Kiss 108, Mix 104.1 or Amp 103.3 will be blown up and either EMF's K-Love or Air1 format, or Bob Bittner's WJIB 740, will be rule the roost on the Boston airwaves! But if that doesn't happen, one of the stations will shift to a Spanish love songs format.

Kiss 108, Mix 104.1 or Amp 103.3 will be blown up and either EMF's K-Love or Air1 format, or Bob Bittner's WJIB 740, will be rule the roost on the Boston airwaves! But if that doesn't happen, one of the stations will shift to a Spanish love songs format.

There are no significant "Spanish love songs" stations anywhere on the mainland US.

There are no significant "Spanish love songs" stations anywhere on the mainland US.

I have a feeling the poster's tongue was firmly in cheek. The major radio players in Boston are not blowing up a CHR, rhythmic CHR or hot AC to sell/lease it it to K-Love or Biittner (and his deep-playlist soft AC-plus format) or flip to any kind of foreign-language format.

Okay, I was only joking. But I think that Matt Siegel will retire in 2017 and the morning show on Kiss 108 will end up being voice tracked by someone from out of town. Bull 101.7's morning show is a syndicated show, as is Jam'n 94.5's morning show.

Matt Siegel is signed with Kiss 108 through 2018: http://fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=2782607

Yes, contracts are made to be broken, torn up, terminated, bought out, etc. - but as long as Matty remains successful + healthy, I believe he'll likely be there until the current pact expires.
Also depends on the health of iheart media, of course - but that could be said for anyone working within the company.

for fun
Declaring "the FM experiment is over", Entercom moves local sports talk and Red Sox games back to WEEI 850. FM 93.7 switches to classic country, starting off with Kitty Wells' "Dust On the Bible"

Pirate radio activity decreases after the Commonwealth successfully finds a way to tax them

The FCC mandates that AM stations that are foreign language must present English language versions of their programming on their FM "translator"..

Jeff Kuhner finally gets a second affiliate, a 500-watter in Montana that soon changes its calls to KUNR (AM)

Sports talk will remain the same but news talk will have one less player as WMEX gets sold and the new owner goes to either a foreign language or religious format.

Again ....and Again... and Again.....

Howie Carr will pack up and go to Washington to become Trump's Director of Propaganda..

Don't know when Howie will retire.Thinking about what happened in 07...IIRC, early that year Don Imus had his Rutgers remark controversy.Howie poked fun at Imus' Boston affiliate, calling them "WTKKK".Months later though, word broke that Howie wanted to jump to 96.9 and he would have gotten that morning time slot. Judges ruled against him, though, even though he made a Sept. appearance on Ch 4 news and "Carr (chocolate) bars" were to be given away.(Howie later gave those away at appearances)

So Howie had to stick around at Entercom till he had a chance to start his own network.WMEX ran him for a few months then RKO took him back as an affiliate. 96.9 FM talk in the meantime dumped the format.

What if he had been able to jump?Would it have helped keep 96.9 as talk?Howie has gotten some 2 dozen stations to carry his show though he hasn't really gotten any outside of New England.He has been selling books and T shirts and enjoys all this, as he's a month away from turning 65.Would he do the show from Florida and keep it all the same, or give it up? He can still vacation in Florida for now at least, and supposedly got a condo there as a result of a settlement from a defamation suit against Imus. Like Rush, Savage, and Howie, Imus too continues in the talk biz.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...ertainment/carr-blowing-horn-article-1.814689

>>Carr was talking about Imus because Imus defended Mike Barnicle, the under-fire Boston Globe columnist. Carr has no use for Barnicle in part, no doubt, because they both do the same job and neither answers to "Mr. Modesty... Imus retaliated by suggesting Carr's wife has had sex with heavyweight boxer Riddick Bowe. That's when Carr became indignant, suggesting Imus had gone too far and letting anonymous hints be dropped that he's talking with his lawyer

---
From The Brothers Bulger by Howie Carr:
"Full disclosure..Alan Dershowitz...represented my wife in a 1998 libel action against two broadcast networks and radio talk show host Don Imus.That lawsuit was settled out of court"

Last edited:
You mean retirement....? 'My heart feels like an aligator... ' to quote HLC. Whateverthehell that means ;-)

I doubt Howie Carr is retiring any time soon. He just spent a lot of money on a brand new studio facility, and it's not in West Palm.

Beaseley will eventually get the sign changed on the building they inherited from Greater Media. Right now it still says "Greater Media, Inc." and omits WRCA from the list of stations.

I doubt Howie Carr is retiring any time soon. He just spent a lot of money on a brand new studio facility, and it's not in West Palm.

My comment on West Palm was not to suggest Carr was going to retire. I don't know him other than what I hear on his show. But rather to opine that if he is going anywhere it wouldn't be D.C. but rather West Palm

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom