• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Power 102 (101.7 WPPR) - 20 Year Reunion Thingy

Ron Burgundy

Inactive
Inactive User
101.7 WPPR Warner Robins/Macon 20 year reunion in 2009. Here is a Legal ID from 1989! http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/1953628_aopjj/Power102LegalID.mp3

Power 102
was a hot rockin, flame throwin CHR in Macon around 1989. Before it was Power 102 it was Class 102 for a short time. Before that it was Rock 102, the most famous radio station in Warner Robins history. What the station lacked in watts it made up for with fun, killer music and a great staff. If the station had the power the frequency enjoys now, Power 102 would have taken a much bigger bite out of 99 gays.. i mean 99 ways.

We are looking for airchecks and composites of the station for the 20 yr reunion. If you have any of that PLZ send it over. Also, looking for former staff members to join us for the 20 yr reunion. If you or someone you know was involved with the station we would love to hear from you. for more info please post a message and/or contact either:

John Wilson - [email protected]
Charlie Rowe - [email protected]

Power 102, the Hot Rockin, Flame Throwin FM

I remember it was around in 1987-1989. I chose it over 99 WAYS (We're A Yuppie Station). I also listened to Q-106 (then Z-106) and WNKS-FM when I was going to college. I listened to WPPR in my car when WNKS's signal was fading. 106 started to get a bit stale so I would check 102 out. Its music was unorthodox but fresh. A little better playlist would have helped Power 102 clean WAYS's clock out.

WPPR did a good job with all but their playlist. I doubt it would have killed WAYS because it ran a few songs into the ground and was top-heavy in urban music. I remember one song was a Blow Monkeys song from "Police Academy 4" movie. Another was "She's Crafty" from The Beastie Boys (didn't last long on most CHR listings). I heard an acapella song on WPPR quite a few times. It went, "O wo wuh wo wo do doo duh doo doo oh wo wuh wo wo."

Sad to say but CHR wasn't a strong format in Macon. It was too much of an urban/country town with a few South Macon refugees playing yuppie (stations went nuts thinking they were THE demo).

All in all it was a good station. I wish someone would get ClearChannel to turn 101.7 into an oldies station. We have enough urban stations to do the job, thank you.

Good luck on your reunion, guys. How are you going to hold it? On the air at the station or online?

I miss those days. Even as a campus nerd I had some good times. :D

WZQB was AM 1600. It played Ga-Football, racing, the auto-doctor and other sat feeds. Some simulcasting too I'm sure.

I think that frequency is dark now? I'm guessing Rick Woodell choose the call letters, WZQB. I doubt the guys at Q106 WQBZ liked that. hehe

I don't know how the reunion will go down. where is Bob on the Knob (Bob Hutchinson)? Scott Tyler? Brian Kelly, Marc James? After Rick, Marc was the PD for a while and went on to Program KZZP Phoenix. I think Rick is in Toledo. I remember the day we broke Donny Osmond's Soldier of Love. red letter day.

we need airchecks and contacts!!!!!

currently, 101.7 is 5000+ watts and has great ratings. dount it would go oldies. but Macon has an oldies station still on the AM dial?? I don't live in Middle Ga and don't get to listen to Macon radio much but my non - radio friend in north Macon, commented about 15 minutes ago, "...mid-ga radio has some law only these 100 songs are allowed..." I thought the mayor was going to do something about that..lol

Hi,

Rick Woodell here. 30+ years in radio and still churning along in Ohio. Great to see so many familiar names. Warner Robins was a grand time. I was there in 1978-79 (pretty much a blur) and again a decade later to get WPPR on the air with Charlie Rowe. What a hoot! Glad to see you guys. Reunion? Haven't been in the area in a very long time, but still call Middle Georgia "home."

Rick Woodell

How about Mark McCoy, who would be "Mark in the Dark" at WAYS-FM. I remember him from Macon College back in '87.

Wasn't Charles Richardson of the Telegraph with WPPR or is that just my hazy memory?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom