• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Posts Down On This Board

Could VH be losing interest? Or have we said all that there is to say?

There used to be a good volume here and now it has slowed to little more than a trickle.

I have found myself visiting less often as well.

<P ID="signature">______________
[email protected]</P>

My "vote" on this format has always been "no". However, I actually believe that the concept of playing a variety of hits is a very good one. I believe that oldies stations have begun to fade away due to the limited number of songs they play. And as I have said before, oldies stations tend to only target the first half of the baby boomer generation. I believe that a good idea is to be an "oldies" station that plays a wide variety of music, but to limit the time period according to the age demo that one wants to reach. To think that a VH station can effectively reach 25 to 54 year olds is ludicrous. Personally I'd like a station that would play a wide variety of top-40 hits from the late '60s thru the early '80s.

> Could VH be losing interest? Or have we said all that there
> is to say?
>
> There used to be a good volume here and now it has slowed to
> little more than a trickle.
>
> I have found myself visiting less often as well.

> Could VH be losing interest? Or have we said all that there
> is to say?
>
> There used to be a good volume here and now it has slowed to
> little more than a trickle.

There was this little thing called Thanksgiving. ;)

Also, this board seems to pick up when a flip happens. There aren't a ton of flips in November/December, except to all-Christmas.

To be honest with you, I read the board and enjoyed reading what people had to say. But this is the first time in awhile I've been back.

I started contributing on this board, then someone named "Oldies Cat" decided to ignore the facts I posted about Jack ratings across the country and decided to attack me personally.

The desire to come back here isn't very much when you get personally attacked by just poitning out ratings.

> Also, this board seems to pick up when a flip happens.
> There aren't a ton of flips in November/December, except to
> all-Christmas.

And the question then would then be wether or not any of those all christmas stations will become Jack...
"If you never say NO, How much is your YES worth?"
</P>

> To be honest with you, I read the board and enjoyed reading
> what people had to say. But this is the first time in
> awhile I've been back.
>
> I started contributing on this board, then someone named
> "Oldies Cat" decided to ignore the facts I posted about Jack
> ratings across the country and decided to attack me
> personally.
>
> The desire to come back here isn't very much when you get
> personally attacked by just poitning out ratings.
>

Well, even though I don't agree with your opinion on Jack (if my memory serves me right, you weren't a fan of Jack), I do enjoy the exchanges I have with most people on this board. Please continue to participate and we can have some good, solid debates.
The Place for the Latest Happenings in Radio
www.freewebs.com/radiostuffandnews
</P>

> Well, even though I don't agree with your opinion on Jack
> (if my memory serves me right, you weren't a fan of Jack), I
> do enjoy the exchanges I have with most people on this
> board. Please continue to participate and we can have some
> good, solid debates.

If I were to have conversations like this, I (and likely others) would probably frequent this board more often.

I don't think it's appropriate to say I am not a fan of Jack. But rather, I am not convinced of its long-term durability. I think there will be a handful of Jack stations hanging around for awhile (Seattle and LA to name a couple), but by and large the Arbitron numbers are telling me that there will be more stations flipping formats rather than staying with the eroding Jack numbers.

I thank you for your respectful reply.

Radio is a business before it can be anything else, yes, but Jack may have to make way for other new ideas, depending on the market.

Rythem 'N' Gold is an example...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom