• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pleasantly suprised by San Diego Radio

I've just gotten here from El Paso and the difference in radio content is like night and day. I'm considering giving up my XM, because most of my radio needs are covered. KLSD has some pretty good progams and I'm also enjoying Free FM.

Yeah, I'm spending a bit of time here in SD this week and feel the same way. All that's missing is an oldies station - you have to pull in KRTH 101 from LA for that. The others are really pretty good - on AM and FM. My personal favorites are 91X, Z90, Magic 92.5, 98.9, KOGO, and KFMB. A lot of excellent choices - most are as good or better than their counterparts in Top 10 markets back east.

It's also nice that you can get many LA signals so clearly in the area too (you can even get KJLH!). I guess the competition helps to keep the locals on their toes - or at least gives them good ideas!

Lopaka said:
By the same token I have gotten KGB in downtown LA, loud and clear.

You're right - in part because the topography in downtown LA (and in the Beverly Hills/westside area) leans southward. If you ever go to Palos Verdes Highlands or other south coast locations, you'll find that SD signals actually come in better than the LA ones. It's all about topography.

When there's a bit of tropo going on (bouncing off the marine layer), I've easily pulled in Z90, 91X, and 94.9 up in Santa Barbara. There may have been others, I just didn't have time to check.

When I was a little kid growing up in La Jolla I was half convinced we lived in Los Angeles because Mt. Soledad's contours blocked 6, 8, and 10, yet all the LA channels came in clear as a bell. I know a woman who knew the man who did the Sheriff John character for channel 11, they were neighbors, and she assured me that he was every bit as nice in person as he was on TV so that is one pleasant childhood impression I am happy has been sustained.

I used to prefer LA stations back when they had the "Mighty Met" and a lot of other great stations there. I used to DX some of those stations, while driving where I could pull them in well. However in recent years if you're not into spanish or hip hop, what ever few choices are left are worse than the local counterparts. I like some of KLSD's programming a lot too, it's run much better than the sorry KTLK, LA's AAR station. About the only radio LA has that San Diego doesn't have is all news and oldies, K-EARTH only has a playlist about as big as a jukebox, and it's always the same stuff between commercials, but they got Shotgun Tom Kelly. BTW, I used to like Sheriff John, and Engineer Bill too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom