• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pitbull - Don't Stop the Party

Any other stations besides a couple of the CC rhythmics playing this? I think it's got big party hit written all over it! Awesome song!

It grew on me. Pitbull does indeed have a good flow! He should call himself "Flo Rida!" Although Flo Rida knows how to ride a beat with his flows as well.

I heard "Don't Stop the Party" on a radio at work that was tuned into the hot AC station. I found the part of the song that goes "I said, y'all having a good time out there." to be annoying.

I liked "Back in Time" much better, especially because of the dubstep influence.

bobdavcav said:
You heard it on a Hot AC? That's one aggressive Hot Ac!

I live near Yorkton, Saskatchewan and have heard a lot of rhythmic-leaning music on 94.1. They even played "Love the Way You Lie" a few times. I'm guessing it could be because there is no CHR/Pop station here and so they're trying to be all things to all people. So now you'll hear Led Zeppelin and Flo Rida on the same FM station.

Things were very different ten years ago, when it was mostly rock music being played and they'd even edit the rap parts out of pop songs. Even now, when they play "Bring Me to Life" by Evanescence or "Hey Baby" by No Doubt, the male vocals are missing.

That makes a little more sense now. On a good day, I can get 2 Canadian Hot ACs, CHBE from Victoria and CKZZ from Vancouver and they both do that, especially CHBE, heard Love the Way you Lie on that station twice in 2 times I listened over a year ago. I really don't like much about Canadian radio though, when I pull up a Canadian station online, I always find it really boring. I don't mind too much when I am actually up there though, kind of odd. That's happened to me with stations out of this country too, but it happens more with Canadian stations.

bobdavcav said:
That makes a little more sense now. On a good day, I can get 2 Canadian Hot ACs, CHBE from Victoria and CKZZ from Vancouver and they both do that, especially CHBE, heard Love the Way you Lie on that station twice in 2 times I listened over a year ago. I really don't like much about Canadian radio though, when I pull up a Canadian station online, I always find it really boring. I don't mind too much when I am actually up there though, kind of odd. That's happened to me with stations out of this country too, but it happens more with Canadian stations.

CHBE seems to really like Pitbull. On their website, their most recent chart is for November 10. On that chart, they have "Back In Time" all the way up at number 3... no "Don't Stop the Party" yet though.

I'm listening to that CHBE station online now. CHBE doesn't really sound anything like American style Hot AC to me. It sounds more like a CHR/Pop station that also plays some songs from the 1990s and 2000s, instead of only new songs. They actually played "Gonna Make You Sweat" by C&C Music Factory a little bit ago. I don't know of any American FM stations like this one, that is, a pop format with some old songs mixed in but no Hot AC lean. Maybe Chicago's WTMX comes close?

I remember reading many years ago that Vancouver got a hip-hop and R&B station, but that the station morphed to top 40 and as a result CKZZ went more adult top 40.

As for being a bit boring, yes, I think I get what you're saying. So far during the time I've listened to CHBE, they simply announce the name of the song and then play it. I like their music mix though. So I'm still listening.

werecat said:
bobdavcav said:

CHBE seems to really like Pitbull. On their website, their most recent chart is for November 10. On that chart, they have "Back In Time" all the way up at number 3... no "Don't Stop the Party" yet though.

I'm listening to that CHBE station online now. CHBE doesn't really sound anything like American style Hot AC to me. It sounds more like a CHR/Pop station that also plays some songs from the 1990s and 2000s, instead of only new songs. They actually played "Gonna Make You Sweat" by C&C Music Factory a little bit ago. I don't know of any American FM stations like this one, that is, a pop format with some old songs mixed in but no Hot AC lean. Maybe Chicago's WTMX comes close?

I remember reading many years ago that Vancouver got a hip-hop and R&B station, but that the station morphed to top 40 and as a result CKZZ went more adult top 40.

As for being a bit boring, yes, I think I get what you're saying. So far during the time I've listened to CHBE, they simply announce the name of the song and then play it. I like their music mix though. So I'm still listening.
From what I've heard of WTMX they are a pretty streight Hot AC. Not being familiar enough with Canadian Hot AC, I really wouldn't know the difference between CHBE and another Hot AC in Canada unless I listened for a while. Victoria radio is really out of whack when it comes to formats. There AC has gotten really aggressive to almost streight Hot AC, the Adult Hits station in that same cluster has dropped the typical Jack fm voice and has begun leaning AC similar to WARH, and now CHBE's format. They were CHR a couple years ago I guess but ratings declined. The hip-hop station you reference is CFBT, and last I checked they were going in a similar direction. Last time I listened was 2 years ago, and heard Waterfalls by TLC in between 2 currents. Very odd.

"Don't Stop The Party" has a bullet on the CHR/POP charts. To my ears, this isn't one of Pitbull's stronger songs. I doubt that this song will be as big as "I Know You Want Me" was.

[/quote] From what I've heard of WTMX they are a pretty streight Hot AC. Not being familiar enough with Canadian Hot AC, I really wouldn't know the difference between CHBE and another Hot AC in Canada unless I listened for a while. Victoria radio is really out of whack when it comes to formats. There AC has gotten really aggressive to almost streight Hot AC, the Adult Hits station in that same cluster has dropped the typical Jack fm voice and has begun leaning AC similar to WARH, and now CHBE's format. They were CHR a couple years ago I guess but ratings declined. The hip-hop station you reference is CFBT, and last I checked they were going in a similar direction. Last time I listened was 2 years ago, and heard Waterfalls by TLC in between 2 currents. Very odd.
[/quote]

Oh wow, it seems that Victoria/Vancouver radio is a bit "different". When I have some time, I'll have to have to listen to some of those radio stations online and share anything interesting I find here on this forum. It would be a bit weird if a regular AC station plays Pitbull. I don't have an office job. So my options at work are either to listen to whatever is playing in the background (either GX94 or 94.1 The Fox) or slip my headphones in for a little bit.

"Don't Stop the Party" just jumped up several spaces again on the latest CHR/Pop chart. So maybe it will be end up being a decent hit.

bobdavcav said:
Yes, maybe do that, but not in this thread.

I wasn't planning to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom