• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Phoenix Radio Ratings - January 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 1/5/2023 thru Wed. 2/1/2023, age 6+ overall:

Demo Rankings will be available via AllAccess.com on Thu. 2/23/2023.

Last edited:
I recommend the RadioInsight ratings summaries. They are more complete, cover more trending months and have better format identities than the rest. And they accurately have the station names!

1677103738840.png

Perhaps Hot 97.5 has affected 101.1 The Bounce's ratings a bit. Still a better showing for 101.1 than its earlier incarnations IIRC.

There's a nice trio of classic rhythm sounds in the market with 97.5, 101.1 and 104.3 - each with its own distinct lane and identity.

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis for ages 25-54, 18-34 + 18-49:
(scroll down to see Phoenix market)

25-54: 1. KSLX 2. KESZ 3T. KUPD 3T. KMXP 5. KLNZ 6. KALV
18-34: 1. KESZ 2. KMLE 3. KALV 4T. KDKB 4T. KLNZ (up from #10T) 4T. KZCE (up from #8T) 8T. KMXP (down from #2) 8T. KMVA
18-49: 1. KESZ 2. KALV 3. KYOT 4T. KMXP 4T. KSLX (up from #8) 7T. KUPD (down from #2) 7T. KDKB 11. KHOT (down from #5)

Yes, KZZP is in serious trouble. Something there needs to change. I'm wondering if the Valley can no longer support 3 CHR's. It might be time for a format change.
What exactly is the third CHR in Phoenix? KVIT is pretty much all over the place right now.

What's interesting is that the line-up at KALV that appears to be doing so well in Phoenix is a lot less successful in other markets, such as LA and Chicago. The Morning Mess and Bru are also on Audacy's station in Chicago, and it's one of the lowest rated stations in town. We're admittedly at a low point for the CHR format right now, but the fact that KALV is doing so well with it tells me the problem with Kiss isn't strictly the format.

The trouble with KZZP is probably more than the format. KKFR with a rimshot signal and translator, has always been the 3rd place CHR, but very stable. Of the 3, KZZP is the one that has lost their audience for whatever reason. KKFR in the previous month had a higher 6+ rating than KZZP.

I don't consider KKFR as the same, as they don't play any mainstream pop - just hip hop and R&B. KZZP is KALV's direct format competitor.

Glad to see KNIX with Tim Hattrick in mornings beating KMLE (worked with him decades ago at KMLE, he was always super nice to a weekender like me; also worked with the lady who did traffic for him and Willy during their time in Chicago about 10 years later).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom