• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

PCD-Jai Ho//// Do we consider this Dance

M

Mid West Clubber

I do, but I bet the purist wont... i bet people like Will and Brett consider it Dance... Its an established artist with a straight ahead Dance track in my opinion.

absolutley not!!! Mid west I sometimes don't like a song til I hear it about five to ten times(Poker Face)......Ive heard this one about 40 URGGGGGG....it's so annoying...just the Indian part....nah every part...what a waste of air space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it took me about 30 to 40 spins to like poker face, and now I love it... Partly because I didnt know what a Poker Face was... Give the song some more listens,,, I like international Hindu sound of the song, and I even like the Original with PCD... its really Dancier than Poker face really.

Dance purist are going to have to embrace songs like this,, and Poker Face as well if we want dance to Suceed,,, it cant no longer be strictly New york Diva house with hi hats, or hard pounding trance for AVB, or Oakie, or PVD,,, its gotta have some artist familierty.... I think anyone that liked the box Office Smash Slum Dog Millionaier will like this song.... will it have a long shelf life,,, probably not,,,, but play it while its hot... As far as I know Pulse 87 and KHNC are the only FMs giving it spins... Party 105 could be playing it too, I havent checked. but I-party still seems to be on I HATE THIS PART remix,,, And I dont think Mike at Energy 98 would go for it.....

I'd have to say Jai-No. Pure dance stations like Energy 98 don't have to embrace poor pop songs just because there's a beat. KNRJ used to think that they had to play artists people knew just to get listeners. Not sure how that worked out for them? ;) The key is stay true to your format. Don't accept shitty pop remixes. I don't care if a song is blowing up on CHR. If there isn't a solid remix it doesn't get added on Energy 98.

Our audience doesn't spend 50% of their time listening to US pop music. Most of our listeners share an audience with NON-US dance stations. Being 70% US listener based I'm ok with that.

The song a really great response at the Oscars. The song isnt that bad. Rahman is huge over in India. We just arent used to their sound. The song has gotten some phones for us. It will get some spins but I dont think it will go past that.

There are a lot more Indian songs that sound like Jai Ho. In fact, Bombay has a "dance" station, Fever 104. That station actually played iiO-Rapture.

This sounds a lot like Beware Of The Boys, and that song wasn't dance.

I don't care for the song, although it is dance related and dance influenced. I don't hate it, but I also don't like it, so I can genuinely say "don't care" accurately, because.. well, lets say there was a large fire and I had to pass the cd with that song on it to escape the burning building. Would I take the cd with me? Probably, or probably not, but either way, I'd feel the same in the end.

Poker Face just took some getting used to. In a time where a genre is resurfacing and coming back in a different way, while people are still trying to break their old habits of thinking of a sound having to be a certain way, it was very odd to hear a song like "Poker Face", ESPECIALLY on rhythmic radio, but thankfully this happened because as a result, people are (knowingly or unknowingly) more open minded when it comes to the new era dance sound. It sounds normal now. At first, I thought she was pushing things a bit too far, too early on with this type of song, but I guess it was already time to advance from the watered down soft urban r&b Neyo and Chris Brown styled dance and move on to straight up electro-pop hits.... and the most exciting part is that we are still currently in a transitional phase! This is still the beginning of things to come!

I don't think it's that great of a song b/c I hear lots of Indian songs (my family is from there originally and I visit every so often). There's so many other Indian songs with better beats that would make great remixes.

Dancerev889 said:
The song a really great response at the Oscars. The song isnt that bad. Rahman is huge over in India. We just arent used to their sound. The song has gotten some phones for us. It will get some spins but I dont think it will go past that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom