• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Padding down a balanced analog output

I've worked with balanced analog audio now for over 40 years, and sometimes still prefer it over digital, but I've never had to externally pad down a balanced analog output before. Here's my problem - Tascam CD players with no audio output level trim pots. I typically like to calibrate my CD players (old school now, I now) using a favorite Denon CD test track (#49). Using this track, I like to obtain a +4 dBu level out of my CD players to feed the console inputs. Here's the problem, my Tascam CD-500B CD players produce a staggering +19 dBu output level using this test track. The Audioarts R-60 console, which these CD players feed, is incapable of reducing a +19 dBu level for a comfortable fader position. I had some Audioarts SDA-8400 distribution amps laying around, and thought I could feed the CD players into those, and using the 16 turn trim pots on the DA's, reduce those levels. Didn't work. The lowest I could get the level was down to a +15.25 dBu level. Could I possibly change some resistors in the 8400's to reduce gain, or would building a passive H or L pad be the better way to go (I have 7 of these CD players where this needs to be done)? Thanks for your help.

Here's the SDA-8400 manual with the schematic:

https://wheatstone.com/joomlatools-files/docman-files/downloadables/8400MAN.pdf

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom