• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oxford Radio

The last 2 times I have passed through Oxford I have noticed how poorly the 2 class A's cover the city.

WUMS & WOXD are both located outside of the city and on the west side of town both seem a bit noisy to me. It certainly makes me wonder how clock radios do with them.

WOXD uses a 4bay from a short tower on a hill. It makes me wonder if all the signal is shooting straight out into a narrow horizontal plane and is just shooting over the west side of town which is at a lower elevation.

I think WUMS is a couple miles to far out to the east with maybe the same terrain issue?

W214BL with its tiny 38watts sounds better than both A's across the city. Of course It's located right in town. How long has it been on? I have never noticed it before.

I noticed KBUD in Sardis is off the air I wonder if they were unable to pay the lease this month.
WCMR remains off the air of course.

Short tower certainly could be a factor and poor choice of antenna design for that particular terrain, and multipath issues from MS hills.Hard to say without a study,ERI seems to do it best.Don't know about KBUD,maybe the revenue just isn;t there or the lease pymt is out of line.WMCR has been silent awhile as you well know.Are they pretty well doomed for deletion?

I always complained about Bullseye's signal when I lived in the area. It probably doesn't help that there's a cell phone tower on the same plot of land that's every bit as tall as their tower. As for WUMS I don't know. They have what seems like a great tower site up east of town but the signal just doesn't perform well.

90.7's antenna is on the microwave tower off Old Taylor Rd I think.

Another poor performer is the Supertalk affiliate licensed to Water Valley. The signal is spotty there and in Oxford, too. On a portable radio I can lose it to intermod while looking at the tower from 278!

Oxford radio is a study...typical University town...Ole Miss or nothing
tremendous potential but tunnel vision....how do I know? I have three stations within 20 miles...go figure....JBI

your observation is correct on KBUD. I am sorry you were in the area and did not stop by. The old man is getting OLDER! Thanks JBI

It as a quick pass through twice this weekend first to Bruce to pick up my grandmother and then off to the Delta and a quick return and back to Memphis.

Hopefully I can get by again during office hours and we can goof off some. I love things with wires, watts, amps, lights, and knobs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom