• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

OTA Repack complete in Phoenix

The repack for full-power and Class A OTA TV stations in Phoenix is completed.

KPDF-CD 41.x transitioned from RF 41 to RF 22 in October, displacing sister LPTV station KTVP-LD, which will be silent until they can build new facilities on RF 23.

KTAZ 39.x transitioned from RF 39 to RF 29 overnight, displacing KGRQ-LD Gila River Indian Community, which has moved to RF 21, and KDOS-LD Globe/Miami, which filed for special temporary authority to go silent until they can find a new RF channel.

KASW 61.x began broadcasting on RF 27 yesterday and turned off the old signal on RF 49 sometime around 8:00 this morning. Last night and this morning, viewers were able to see two channel 61s on their TVs.

-----

In Tucson, KWBA-TV 58.x reportedly transitioned from RF 44 to RF 21 sometime midweek, displacing HSN's K21CX-D, which was gone silent pending authorization to transition to RF 35.

KUVE-DT is due to transition from RF 46 to RF 34 sometime today, which will actually improve reception of Phoenix's KDPH-LD, which continues to broadcast on RF 46, but now without interference from Tucson.

KUVE-CD is due to transition from RF 42 to RF 36 sometime today.

KHRR is due to transition from RF 40 to RF 16, displacing K16EO-D 9.x, which just received permission to build facilities on RF 27, but will be silent until the new facilities are ready to go.

-----

In both cities, some stations transitioned on temporary facilities and will be changing over their primary facilities in the coming weeks, but all stations are broadcasting on their post-repack channels.

Did K38IZ-D just go silent or are they transitioning to another RF channel?

They have a CP to move to RF 14. The LD's don't have to move right away, but maybe they're doing it while crews are still there. I'm going to miss the name "IZ Videos."

The repack for full-power and Class A OTA TV stations in Phoenix is completed.

KPDF-CD 41.x transitioned from RF 41 to RF 22 in October, displacing sister LPTV station KTVP-LD, which will be silent until they can build new facilities on RF 23.

KTAZ 39.x transitioned from RF 39 to RF 29 overnight, displacing KGRQ-LD Gila River Indian Community, which has moved to RF 21, and KDOS-LD Globe/Miami, which filed for special temporary authority to go silent until they can find a new RF channel.

KASW 61.x began broadcasting on RF 27 yesterday and turned off the old signal on RF 49 sometime around 8:00 this morning. Last night and this morning, viewers were able to see two channel 61s on their TVs.

-----

In Tucson, KWBA-TV 58.x reportedly transitioned from RF 44 to RF 21 sometime midweek, displacing HSN's K21CX-D, which was gone silent pending authorization to transition to RF 35.

KUVE-DT is due to transition from RF 46 to RF 34 sometime today, which will actually improve reception of Phoenix's KDPH-LD, which continues to broadcast on RF 46, but now without interference from Tucson.

KUVE-CD is due to transition from RF 42 to RF 36 sometime today.

KHRR is due to transition from RF 40 to RF 16, displacing K16EO-D 9.x, which just received permission to build facilities on RF 27, but will be silent until the new facilities are ready to go.

-----

In both cities, some stations transitioned on temporary facilities and will be changing over their primary facilities in the coming weeks, but all stations are broadcasting on their post-repack channels.

KASW seems to be on 27.1 instead of 61.1 for me tonight.

KASW seems to be on 27.1 instead of 61.1 for me tonight.

They still have to get their permanent antenna installed, so they're running on slightly lower power. Or, working out the gremlins in the new transmitter.

I'm wondering when KFPB-LD will move their frequency. I want to see if that temporary move to RF 25 or permanent move to RF 30 helps with their reception in the East Valley. Their planned antenna is even more directional, so I don't know (plus interference from full powered stations in Tucson). The 38.x channels seem to have better picture quality since the move to RF 14. Maybe they were able to buy variable bit rate encoders.

I'm wondering when KFPB-LD will move their frequency. I want to see if that temporary move to RF 25 or permanent move to RF 30 helps with their reception in the East Valley.

I doubt we'll see a move to RF 25 now. K30MM-D's move to South Mtn. was approved by the FCC, as was the purchase of the station by Globe LPTV from Gila River Telecommunications. The only thing standing in the way now is for the parties to consummate the sales agreement. Once that happens, Globe LPTV can dismiss their RF 21 application, freeing the FCC to grant Gila River Telecomm's RF 21 application. As long as T-Mobile doesn't step in and force the issue with their purchase of B- and C-block spectrum, KFPB can avoid an money-wasting temporary transition.

As for helping their reception, I'm skeptical. They had a clear shot on RF 50; RF 30 is co-channel with KUAT, Tucson's strongest station, which I receive regularly at my palatial west Chandler estate.

I doubt we'll see a move to RF 25 now. K30MM-D's move to South Mtn. was approved by the FCC, as was the purchase of the station by Globe LPTV from Gila River Telecommunications. The only thing standing in the way now is for the parties to consummate the sales agreement. Once that happens, Globe LPTV can dismiss their RF 21 application, freeing the FCC to grant Gila River Telecomm's RF 21 application. As long as T-Mobile doesn't step in and force the issue with their purchase of B- and C-block spectrum, KFPB can avoid an money-wasting temporary transition.

As for helping their reception, I'm skeptical. They had a clear shot on RF 50; RF 30 is co-channel with KUAT, Tucson's strongest station, which I receive regularly at my palatial west Chandler estate.

I would have thought that my reception for KFPB would have improved once KASW switched off RF 49, but it's still impossible to receive where I am without an outdoor antenna. Surprisingly, I was able to get it earlier this year (not reliably, though) with the right cable positioning in my second floor spare room OTA setup, then Pearl signed on ATSC 3.0 on 35 and I couldn't receive 50 after that.

Surprisingly, I was able to get it earlier this year (not reliably, though) with the right cable positioning in my second floor spare room OTA setup, then Pearl signed on ATSC 3.0 on 35 and I couldn't receive 50 after that.

Huh. That's odd, because before the Pearl Consortium began using RF 35 for ATSC 3.0, the channel was in use as the ATSC 1.0 Unimás station. Even though the startup of ATSC 3.0 broadcasts and you losing KFPB happened about the same time, I can't find any reason to believe that those two events are nothing more than coincidence. Strange that the station is giving you so much trouble - they broadcast at 15 kW like everyone else and while the broadcast pattern is directional, it still has nearly uniform coverage. The only thing I can see is that they use a 2.5° beam tilt, where other stations use anywhere from zero to 1.75°. If I understand it correctly, beam tilt directs more power to areas closer, giving them a better signal, at the expense of areas farther away - anyone reading please correct me if I've misstated that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom