• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Original Omnia Fm Vs. Newer Generations

C

CDJCD5

Been checking out the boards for a while now and figured hey why not post. Anyways a question for some of you that had experience with the different Omnias. At our station we are running a original Omnia FM with the Hot Upgrade running the L Cool preset with a few tweaks and we do get a few compliments on how the radio station does sound. Alot of our competition are running newer boxes and we do compare quite well. So here is my question with a good tweak, how does the older Omnias like the original FM sound compared to the new box's (Ex: Omnia 3 5 & 6? What presets were preferred with the Hot upgrade? I know some people like diffrent boxes for different formats. Just kinda curious to what people have to say ;D

Chris

CDJCD5 said:
Been checking out the boards for a while now and figured hey why not post. Anyways a question for some of you that had experience with the different Omnias. At our station we are running a original Omnia FM with the Hot Upgrade running the L Cool preset with a few tweaks and we do get a few compliments on how the radio station does sound. Alot of our competition are running newer boxes and we do compare quite well. So here is my question with a good tweak, how does the older Omnias like the original FM sound compared to the new box's (Ex: Omnia 3 5 & 6? What presets were preferred with the Hot upgrade? I know some people like diffrent boxes for different formats. Just kinda curious to what people have to say ;D

Chris

The Omnia.Hot is definitely a beast onto itself! Has a unique sound for sure!

It's really hard to draw a absolute comparisons as the other Omnia models use such different topologies.
The newer model that comes closest is the Omnia.One, but even that one has significant changes when compared to the Omnia.Classic series. You'll really have to give a listen to one of the newer ones, and we can help you tweak it as well.

About the only thing that can be said universally about the new models vs original is the newer ones can be louder for a given level of distortion than the original. What I mean is this: By now you are no doubt very familiar with the point on the Omnia.Hot where the distortion becomes too high to continue cranking for more loudness. On the newer units, when you reach that point, you'll find they (the new ones) are noticeably louder.

The signature sound of each of the Omnias, however, are quite different, and harder to draw absolute comparisons on a message board. You'll have to give 'em a listen and play around.

-Cornelius

I'm a pretty picky person to please when it comes to processing.

The only digital box that pleases me 100% has been the Omnia 6exi. This sounds harsh, but the only thing I felt the earlier generations of Omnia audio processors were good for?: as final limiters and stereo generators.

The 6 changed everything. No comparison with earlier generations. But, that's just me.

One big thing to remember about the original Omnia FM is that there's a protection limiter on the analog input that has a significant effect on the sound. I always liked the analog input better than the AES in for that reason. I don't believe any of the other Omnias have that limiter on the analog input.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom