• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe serenade-radio.com (British) plays a song with the word "darkies" and, furthermore, that the lyrics say how much the man enjoys workin' for "massa".

What's that song, Chimp?

I don't know the specific song to which vchimpanzee is referring, but I just checked out Serenade Radio's playlist. As tough as it may be to listen to certain lyrics today, Radio Serenade specializes in music of a different era. It is also in England, so I would have to defer to a Brit in order to find out how people from that country feel about such matters.

Edit: Ah, vchimp says that it's "Carry Me Back to Old Virginny," a song well known to those of us in the Old Dominion State! Should the song not be played at all (in England)? Or should it be prefaced with a disclaimer similar to what is done before "problematic" episodes of TV shows like "Little House on the Prairie?"

Makes me wonder how coming generations will react when present-day music with questionable lyrics is played on the oldies stations of the future. Will people feel uncomfortable hearing about b*tches, h0s, and gun violence?

What I find funny is if the OP is white (I am a POC) he is "banging the drum" for another race. Sir, all lives matter, not just Black Lives.
Here is Ray Charles,,,a black man singing the song.
Carry Me Back to Old Virginny

What I find funny is if the OP is white (I am a POC) he is "banging the drum" for another race. Sir, all lives matter, not just Black Lives.
What is wrong with a person of any race defending equality by questioning a song lyric that appears to have derogatory or discriminatory lyrics?

All of us come across situations where we may feel that equal treatment is not being shown. Why shouldn't we question such incidents, even if it is just to gain a further understanding of how people feel and react?

This is a radio board, not a politics board - let's please try to keep it that way.

Thanks.
Scott, with all due respect. The original post is political, I did not create it. Did I say "Offensive & Darkies"? Should I delete my comment?

To the OP, thank for the introduction to the song, I am adding it to my format!

This is a radio board, not a politics board - let's please try to keep it that way.

Thanks.
Here we have two moderators in disagreement: the original post was about a song with objectionable lyrics being streamed on a "station" in England. I am rather interested in both why they played the song as well as whether they made any announcement about why they thought they should play it.

Here we have two moderators in disagreement: the original post was about a song with objectionable lyrics being streamed on a "station" in England. I am rather interested in both why they played the song as well as whether they made any announcement about why they thought they should play it.
No announcement. In many cases a DJ will say why a certain song was played.

It seems it would be better suited to a program of a historical nature, rather than part of the regular playlist.
Agreed. And if played, it should be explained. Of course, serenade-radio seems to be a stream only and originated outside the US, so there is not much in the area of regulation that would apply to such content.

Since the song was the Virginia state song until just 25 years ago, it's a relevant topic even if from a) outside the USA and b) not on broadcast radio.

Agreed. And if played, it should be explained. Of course, serenade-radio seems to be a stream only and originated outside the US, so there is not much in the area of regulation that would apply to such content.

Since the song was the Virginia state song until just 25 years ago, it's a relevant topic even if from a) outside the USA and b) not on broadcast radio.
I'm not referring to regulation, but just how people would feel.

I'm not referring to regulation, but just how people would feel.
In this case, it's hard to evaluate because it is not from the US and from a streamer that I'd not even heard of before.

Listener comments are shown, but I've posted some that could be considered negative and they didn't appear. They do, however, have a Facebook page where that doesn't happen, but it's not set up for easy responses to situations like this.

OK, we have reached the limits of a discussion of song lyrics on a UK stream that does not specifically target the US. We can't discuss every unregulated stream world-wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom