• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

October Ratings

Everything The Beatles did from "Revolver" and on is Definitive Classic Rock. "I Am The Walrus", "Helter Skelter", "Strawberry Fields Forever" and so on. Maybe you meant early Beatles like "She Loves You". "Revolver" was one album that helped influence all the stuff that followed
(Psychedelia and so forth).

Whatever descriptive term people want to use, Berry and Holly are CLASSIC artists, so it's Classic Rock & Roll...
Oops. I meant POST-"Revolver." Sorry!

They played them as curiosities. How many of those stations are playing that one reconstituted Beatles song or anything from the Stones album a month later?

I disagree that they played them as "curiosities." In both cases, they were played as events, in collaboration with the two record label promotion departments. Their DJs got to interview members of the bands. And yes, none of the new songs were added to the regular rotation. But how often does a classic rock station play current music anyway? Never. This was an authorized break in format.

To you, they are "classic". To those who don't like the music, the songs or the artists, they are just "old".
The overwhelming consensus is that Berry, Holly and the Beatles are legendary musicians. That's simply a fact even if some people don't like their music. Once again you missed the point that Radio formats and Classic Rock are not the same. The music world is not defined by narrow Radio formats...

The overwhelming consensus is that Berry, Holly and the Beatles are legendary musicians. That's simply a fact even if some people don't like their music. Once again you missed the point that Radio formats and Classic Rock are not the same. The music world is not defined by narrow Radio formats...
Yet this is a "radio" board. If you want to discuss the intricacies and nature of the music profession and industry, look for a board populated by musicians and record folks.

As BigA said, "Conversely, radio formats should not be defined by the music world."

The subject here is "radio formats". The radio industry has defined them for the business side. Stations can create their own positioners for on air use any way they want... it's not regulated.

Again, not talking about the Classic Rock radio format. Berry and Holly are CLASSIC artists...
To you. To probably 95% of the world or so, they are not and are, in fact, likely totally unknown.

Conversely, radio formats should not be defined by the music world.

All music, regardless of whether its classic or not, is available to anyone who wants to hear it.
Not sure what you're saying. The music world doesn't create Radio formats. Any Radio station is free to create a playlist made up of any artists they want. Instead, most use a cookie cutter approach. Radio will have to decide if they want to go a different route in the future...

Not sure what you're saying. The music world doesn't create Radio formats.

I understand that. Radio plays what its audience wants to hear, regardless of whether or not musicologists consider the music classic. The name of the format is just a name. Nothing more.

Instead, most use a cookie cutter approach.

A lot of people like cookies. Nothing wrong with that.

If people want a personalized approach, they're welcome to create their own personal playlist.

Not sure what you're saying. The music world doesn't create Radio formats. Any Radio station is free to create a playlist made up of any artists they want. Instead, most use a cookie cutter
Prove or give evidence why you keep thinking formats are "cookie cutter". If you ask samples of listeners in 50 different US cities what kinds of music they like and then what songs within each type they enjoy, you are going to find pretty much the same thing everywhere.

That's why, even before it moved to TV, "Your Hit Parade" was a radio show starting in 1935 and playing the top pop song of each week. Across the nation, everyone who liked specific kinds of music seem to have pretty much been in total consensus on which were the best songs of any moment.

Radio just takes the genres of music and asks those who like that music which songs they want to hear. That's not cookie cutter at all... that is actually talking to people and then giving them the music they and the group they belong to actually like.
approach. Radio will have to decide if they want to go a different route in the future...
What route, other than "playing the songs they like" do you suggest as a different route? I suspect that your "different route" is a dead end alleyway.

Most of the world has never heard of William Shakespeare either. I guess he was of no consequence at all except that his plays are still being performed...
I am saying to put things in perspective. Those artists you name had considerable popularity among a large group of people in the USA in their time. But the immense majority of Blacks, Asians and Hispanics in the US at the same time did not care for them and did not listen to stations that played their music.

In fact, English is the first language of only 5% of the world's population. Even in a nation where English is the common tongue of people speaking other languages with friends and family... such as Singapore... the Beatles or Shakespeare are not top of mind in their society.

For example, if you ask my oldest daughter in Ecuador who she thinks the most significant authors are, she is more likely to say Cervantes and García Márquez than Shakespeare and Hemingway.

Last edited:
The name of the format is just a name. Nothing more.
And what tbolt909 does not want to understand is that format names are intended to identify station types to advertisers who may be in different cities and may never have listened to each station they buy ads on.

The format names we are use on this board to discuss radio are based on the industry standards imposed by Nielsen. Sometimes we expand on them, add an extra word or whatever.

And the terms stations use on the air are often in discord with the Nielsen accepted terms. For example, some classic hits stations still use the term "oldies" because in their market and among listeners that is not negative and "works for them". But that same station, when presenting for their rep or a national account, will call itself "classic hits" because the other term has a negative perception among advertisers.

And what tbolt909 does not want to understand is that format names are intended to identify station types to advertisers who may be in different cities and may never have listened to each station they buy ads on.

The format names we are use on this board to discuss radio are based on the industry standards imposed by Nielsen. Sometimes we expand on them, add an extra word or whatever.

And the terms stations use on the air are often in discord with the Nielsen accepted terms. For example, some classic hits stations still use the term "oldies" because in their market and among listeners that is not negative and "works for them". But that same station, when presenting for their rep or a national account, will call itself "classic hits" because the other term has a negative perception among advertisers.
I was very clear about the difference between Radio format names and music itself. You keep ignoring that. Stations like JACK deliberately mocked narrow Radio formats by claiming "We Play What We Want", not what the listener wants. It was obviously just a ploy to create the image of ""Variety".

As for "Oldies", that can include artists like Madonna, Nirvana, Prince, and any other act from the 80s or 90s.
1993 was 30 years ago. A 25 year old person wasn't alive, so to them that eras music is OLD. Back in 1985, only AM Radio stations were still playing music from the 1940s (Maybe). Time turns everything into an "Oldie"...

Stations like JACK deliberately mocked narrow Radio formats by claiming "We Play What We Want", not what the listener wants. It was obviously just a ploy to create the image of ""Variety".

The "we" is inclusive. If you're listening, then you're part of the "we." It's not playing what "I" want, but "we." All of us.

It's not an "image," but in fact a reality of variety. If you compare music lists of Jack with traditional classic formats, there are different songs. It's what I talked about earlier, that's not about genre, but rather targeting a particular audience, which is different from classic rock or classic hits. That's how the format is able to coexist with those other formats in the same market. It's a different presentation. It's not simply about song lists, but the way those songs are presented.

MusicMaster and Selector don't think. They process. If you want to call "Baker Street" as "country" in either program, you can. It won't care and will simply use the codes you set up to program the song.
Yessss, Dayyyvid .... I know this full well :cool: And you know that scads of posters here know this. Mine was a metaphoric reference. Nothing more. But it's good that you pointed out that those two music scheduling platforms and others like it do only what they instructed to do.

Back
Top Bottom