• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NYC without a Country Outlet

WGAR used to boom into Chicago, thats a regional. But that's the gravy. The clears were all quite listenable, that's why they were clear. I'm no more likely to put satellite receivers into my antique cars which I drive daily and fiddle with extra
screens than I am to buy 5 or 6 satellite receivers to replace the various radios I use in the house.
I don't mind fading or natural interference, and I really appreciate the fact that I have both local and distant choices in real time
with no "screen navigation" on the same dial. I DO listen to some streams on the computer, WFMU for one, but It's just not practical to drag the laptop everywhere and open each radio to add a line input. If I stream at home, I put the signal on the Pt 15 AM, then use radios to listen. This won't work at the beach, for instance, because the dunes block cellphone reception and there's no wifi there either. Same at the motel near the beach, at the campground....all places where I enjoy regular radio reception. I'm not afraid to leave a Boom Box on the beach while I go off somewhere. Try that with a smartphone.
It's just so bothersome to have to jump through hoops for a subscription service that is not as useful or dependable as
what just "works" for free.

I love my computers, and make a living keeping up various kinds of industrial PLCs and computer systems which support printing presses. I have more computers here at home than I can accurately remember, so many have been used and superceded.
But they just don't work like radios, and without the skywave factor, they are no more magical than
listening to a cassette tape, or dialing up WBZ on the phone and listening to the air signal while on hold.

I do not enjoy navigating my way through various HMI screens, waiting for buffering, and SO MANY steps between
choices. I love the behavior of true analog tuning, with one slection after another, with only a tiny turn of the knob.
When computer "radio" can work as seamlessly, I'll think differently.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom