• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NPR says it's cutting jobs by 10% as ad revenue drops

NPR to cut 10% of staff

NPR's chief executive announced the network would lay off roughly 10% of its current workforce – at least 100 people – and eliminate most vacant positions. CEO John Lansing cited the erosion of advertising dollars, particularly for NPR podcasts, and the tough financial outlook for the media industry more generally.

"When we say we are eliminating filled positions, we are talking about our colleagues - people whose skills, spirit and talents help make NPR what it is today," Lansing wrote in a memo to staff today. "This will be a major loss."

On an annual budget of roughly $300 million, Lansing says, revenues are likely to fall short by close to $30 million, although that gap could reach $32 million.

My local NPR station seems to be caught in a vicious cycle of sorts. Revenues fell, so they cut local programming, they went with BBC content at times rather than programming that was more relevant to what was going on in our our city, county, state and country, which resulted in more people decreasing or eliminating pledges, which resulted in several staff departures and a reorganization of sorts, which resulted in even fewer incoming pledges and revenue...etc. etc.

This may cause people to wonder why a drop in ad revenue would hurt NPR. Their podcast business is ad supported, and the same ad depression that hit broadcast radio last year has also hit NPR.

This may cause people to wonder why a drop in ad revenue would hurt NPR. Their podcast business is ad supported,
Not just the podcast business. I was listening to Morning Edition one day last week, and the national funding credit at 07:21am was all foundations and bequests.

I also think NPR's credibility has eroded in recent years, with a number of long-time hosts and correspondents retiring or leaving for other pastures, in addition to a "harder-hitting" tone of coverage, meaning fewer feel-good features in the keystone news magazines.

I also think NPR's credibility has eroded in recent years,

I don't see any connection between funding and credibility. There's no question that all ad-based media has seen a drop in funding, regardless of credibility. But I also haven't seen any erosion in credibility. NPR's presentation isn't dependent on certain hosts.

I don't see any connection between funding and credibility. There's no question that all ad-based media has seen a drop in funding, regardless of credibility. But I also haven't seen any erosion in credibility. NPR's presentation isn't dependent on certain hosts.
This, and something to keep in mind; most larger media companies, including public, for-profit, and social media, have been consistently cutting ranks since last October. His personal perception of NPR has nothing to do with the larger headwinds being faced by all world media organizations.

My NPR station here in Fort Wayne Indiana Ended up selling its classical station to one of our local universities. due to fewer donations And decreased listenership by 60% The good news there is it now has a local air stuff after 15 years and now airs an urban gospel format.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom