• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Norsan Media To Acquire Genuine Austin Radio

lanceventa

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to its current LMA's to operate 104.9 KTXX and 105.3, Norsan will now be acquiring all of Genuine Austin Radio's properties.

Can’t say this is a surprise. Will it mean the end of Country on KOKE 99.3/98.5?
I can’t imagine how it survives.

KOKE-FM (99.3 is actually a decent signal for covering spanish-dominant households.

Other than Norsan's "Flow" in Jacksonville, FL I am not aware of any other english-language or primarily english stations in their stable.

Last edited:
"Flow" is Spanish Rhythmic CHR (Reggaetón, Dembow, Trap & Modern Latin Pop) if I remember correctly.
I was under the impression that the presentation was mostly in english and the music was a mix, but I have been streaming it and I stand corrected. There isn't much presentation at all, mostly a jukebox and just about every song is spanish only.

Sports "HORN FM" KTAE 1260 and Williamson County translator 101.9 FM seem like a certain flip too.

I was under the impression that the presentation was mostly in english and the music was a mix, but I have been streaming it and I stand corrected. There isn't much presentation at all, mostly a jukebox and just about every song is spanish only.

Sports "HORN FM" KTAE 1260 and Williamson County translator 101.9 FM seem like a certain flip too.
I'd guess that KTAE would become "Flow," KOKE becomes "Latina."

I'm not Dominican but I love dembow.
I'm not Dominican, either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Seriously, though. KOKE and The Horn are both goners. Wouldn't even be surprised to read that KTAE is re-sold or even surrendered. One of 104.9's HD subchannels can easily provide the programming for whatever may end up on K270CO. Norsan likely had to take KTAE off Genuine Austin's hands, but they certainly don't have to retain it.

I'm not Dominican, either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Seriously, though. KOKE and The Horn are both goners. Wouldn't even be surprised to read that KTAE is re-sold or even surrendered. One of 104.9's HD subchannels can easily provide the programming for whatever may end up on K270CO. Norsan likely had to take KTAE off Genuine Austin's hands, but they certainly don't have to retain it.
Actually that doesn't work. K270CO is too far outside of the coverage area to be fed by a KTXX HD channel. KOKE FM isn't HD, but if it was it's too far outside of K280CO's coverage too. The four year coupling has expired on the translator, but if they want to feed it with something other than KTAE, then they will have to move it and it can't go south because of K231CZ.

Actually that doesn't work. K270CO is too far outside of the coverage area to be fed by a KTXX HD channel. KOKE FM isn't HD, but if it was it's too far outside of K280CO's coverage too. The four year coupling has expired on the translator, but if they want to feed it with something other than KTAE, then they will have to move it and it can't go south because of K231CZ.

I thought for sure Round Rock was in the 60dBu of KTXX. Last I heard, when going to an Express game last season, 104.9 showed no signs of weakness whatsover on the receiver.

I wonder if 99.3 and 104.9 might end up as a simulcast. Their signals look like they would be compatible for market coverage.

I wonder if 99.3 and 104.9 might end up as a simulcast. Their signals look like they would be compatible for market coverage.
They are very complimentary and I always thought The Horn (when it was on 104.9) could use the help 99.3 could provide.

104.9 does do better in Round Rock than the coverage map might suggest though.

104.9 does have some possible upgrade potential but it would involve downgrading KMIL and changing channels of KBUK. Maybe an opportunity will open up in the future.

Below is a signal map of the stations in question. FMs are 60 dBu and the AM is 2 mV/m. KTAE (1260) is in green and feeds K270CO (101.9) which is red. KTXX (104.9) is blue and KOKE-FM is green.

A commercial translator's 60 dBu signal needs to stay within it's primary station's 60 dBu signal. If the primary station is an AM, then the 60 dBu of the translator needs to stay within the 2 mV/m AM signal or within a 25 mile radius of the AM tower.

Because of the these rules, K270CO (101.9) can't be fed with KOKE-FM or KTXX.

KTXX and KOKE-FM are very complimentary. Combining KTAE/K270CO (101.9) with K236AY (95.1), K253AN (98.5), or K287FG (105.3) or would make a lot of sense. The West Lake translators are all pretty bad in Georgetown and hit or miss in Round Rock.

What Norsan has been doing... simulcasting KTXX and K236AY/KZNX makes basically no sense. They did finally add 104.9 to the La Raza branding a month or two ago, but it seems like they want to keep the two signals going together, which I don't get.

ATX Signal Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Looking over fhe translators, only 105.3 is owned by Genuine Austin Radio while 95.1, 98.5 and 101.9 are under different ownership. What will Norsan do with these?

Will Norsan dump the 1530/95.1 lease? And do they really want to keep 1260?

Back
Top Bottom