• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Norm Ruby

A

antennafarm

Here's a puzzler to jog the minds of any of you who worked Boston radio in the mid-60's. I board-oped at WBOS when I went to Graham Collge (Kenmore Sq) in 1966-67. My boss was a guy with a voicer deeper then the basement of the PRU building...guy by the name of Norm Ruby. He hired me to run the ethnic shows from 9am to 3pm on Sundays on the AM side. That was when WBOS was on the 7th floor of the Hotel Summerset, 2 blocks from my dorm room. Just wondering what happened to the guy.

I worked with him in 1982 when bos / wunr was at N.Station. He was such a nice guy, and with a golden voice. I bet the old carts with his wunr id's are still in use at 1600 am !

> Here's a puzzler to jog the minds of any of you who worked
> Boston radio in the mid-60's. I board-oped at WBOS when I
> went to Graham Collge (Kenmore Sq) in 1966-67. My boss was
> a guy with a voicer deeper then the basement of the PRU
> building...guy by the name of Norm Ruby. He hired me to run
> the ethnic shows from 9am to 3pm on Sundays on the AM side.
> That was when WBOS was on the 7th floor of the Hotel
> Summerset, 2 blocks from my dorm room. Just wondering what
> happened to the guy.
>

I remember that when WBOS-92.9 was an all-disco format in the late 1970's, Norm Ruby's voice sometimes would be heard doing commercials.

I'm not 100% certain (I'm trying to recall this over a period of almost 27 years), but I think there was one local commercial that aired on 'BOS in December of 1978 in which Ruby and Ron Robin appeared. I think it was for a clothing store, and Norm Ruby was the voice of Santa Claus in that spot.

I don't think he's around any more. If he is still alive, he's probably long since retired.

He had one of the deepest voices ever heard on Boston radio. Given that voice, I'm surprised he never did voice-overs for national commercials (as far as I am aware). He could have been one of the nation's top voice-over narrators for commercials and industrial films/videos.

Norm Ruby, from what I've been told is no longer with us. BUT, his voice still is heard on "Double-U YOUOOOOOOOOOOO, Ennn,R" to this very day. He was a mainstay on WBOS (now WUNR) and WBOS-FM for years, ever since the days of "The Music Theatre" in the 1960's. He definitely had a unique and powerful voice! There was NO mistaking it! God love him.

Peter Q.

> I remember that when WBOS-92.9 was an all-disco format in
> the late 1970's, Norm Ruby's voice sometimes would be heard
> doing commercials.
>
> I'm not 100% certain (I'm trying to recall this over a
> period of almost 27 years), but I think there was one local
> commercial that aired on 'BOS in December of 1978 in which
> Ruby and Ron Robin appeared. I think it was for a clothing
> store, and Norm Ruby was the voice of Santa Claus in that
> spot.
>
> I don't think he's around any more. If he is still alive,
> he's probably long since retired.
>
> He had one of the deepest voices ever heard on Boston radio.
> Given that voice, I'm surprised he never did voice-overs for
> national commercials (as far as I am aware). He could have
> been one of the nation's top voice-over narrators for
> commercials and industrial films/videos.
>
<P ID="signature">______________
Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts</P>

> Norm Ruby, from what I've been told is no longer with us.
> BUT, his voice still is heard on "Double-U YOUOOOOOOOOOOO,
> Ennn,R" to this very day. He was a mainstay on WBOS (now
> WUNR) and WBOS-FM for years, ever since the days of "The
> Music Theatre" in the 1960's. He definitely had a unique
> and powerful voice! There was NO mistaking it! God love
> him.
>
> 73,
>
> Peter Q.
>
Thanks to all the nice replies about Norm Ruby. He hired me for the board work after I called him from a pay phone in my dorm. WBOS was in Hotel Summerset at the time, just down the block so I thought I'd look there. After filling out the usual paperwork, Norm asked me "What is the most important thing in radio"??? Quite a question for a bright-eyed college student who can't wait to get into a station. Norm said "NO" when I answered with "the transmitter, the board and the quality of the announcing staff". He lit another cigarette and pointed to an overflowing trash can. "Thats the most important thing around here...please empty it down the hall". At the time, the WBOS studios were in one wing of the hotel and the offices in another. Norm gave me a lot of nifty hints about announcing that I remember to this day. Thanks folks. Larry
>
> > I remember that when WBOS-92.9 was an all-disco format in
> > the late 1970's, Norm Ruby's voice sometimes would be
> heard
> > doing commercials.
> >
> > I'm not 100% certain (I'm trying to recall this over a
> > period of almost 27 years), but I think there was one
> local
> > commercial that aired on 'BOS in December of 1978 in which
>
> > Ruby and Ron Robin appeared. I think it was for a clothing
>
> > store, and Norm Ruby was the voice of Santa Claus in that
> > spot.
> >
> > I don't think he's around any more. If he is still alive,
> > he's probably long since retired.
> >
> > He had one of the deepest voices ever heard on Boston
> radio.
> > Given that voice, I'm surprised he never did voice-overs
> for
> > national commercials (as far as I am aware). He could have
>
> > been one of the nation's top voice-over narrators for
> > commercials and industrial films/videos.
> >
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom