• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No spanish language radio?

You hear stations all over the Dominican Republic promoting their “Wassa” from Telemicro owned radio stations to Alofoke.
In Colombia, almost all business use W-A these days, in addition to or instead of standard land line.

You can make free long distance calls. My mother uses it quite a bit even to call me.

For anyone with a higher powered radio, there is a Spanish music station on 1330 AM from Chicago area that comes in most evenings between sunset and sunrise here in the Cleveland area. There is also a Spanish format on 1610 AM from the Toronto area. This one comes in almost every night for someone who's radio goes that high.

Last edited:
For anyone with a higher powered radio, there is a Spanish music station on 1330 AM from Chicago area that comes in most evenings between sunset and sunrise here in the Cleveland area. There is also a Spanish format on 1610 AM from the Toronto area. This one comes in almost every night for someone who's radio goes that high.
How old a radio must one own to have one that can't get 1610?

Ahhhh WKTA from Evanston!!! I was wondering who that was, every time I'd try to catch a legal, I'd lose the signal. AM 1610 is CHHA and belongs to the non-profit San Lorenzo Latin American Community Centre.

It does a full-service format in Spanish, as well as programs in other languages such as Punjabi for a few hours in the evening.

Looking at WKTA's pattern, I'm surprised that the 110 watt night signal would make it here to Cleveland, but then again it's aimed right over the lake. The 5 kW day pattern would be more likely to reach without getting swallowed in the hash that is 1330 WINT (Willoughby, Ohio).

Since this is Polnet we're talking about, I wonder if the proper day/night settings are being observed according to the licence terms. :cautious:

Ahhhh WKTA from Evanston!!! I was wondering who that was, every time I'd try to catch a legal, I'd lose the signal. AM 1610 is CHHA and belongs to the non-profit San Lorenzo Latin American Community Centre.

It does a full-service format in Spanish, as well as programs in other languages such as Punjabi for a few hours in the evening.

Looking at WKTA's pattern, I'm surprised that the 110 watt night signal would make it here to Cleveland, but then again it's aimed right over the lake. The 5 kW day pattern would be more likely to reach without getting swallowed in the hash that is 1330 WINT (Willoughby, Ohio).

Since this is Polnet we're talking about, I wonder if the proper day/night settings are being observed according to the licence terms. :cautious:
I am wondering if the 1330 out of Chicago is running the 5k at night, because the signal comes in pretty good.

Hispanic Population % Per Nielsen:
Cincinnati - Market #33 - 4% (2 Spanish FMs)
Columbus - Market #36 - 5% (2 Spanish FMs)
Cleveland - Market # 35 - 6%

That's a good question.

Detroit and Grand Rapids, both of whom are (likely) smaller Hispanic markets than Cleveland, have a Spanish AM with an FM translator. I've listened to the Grand Rapids Spanish station in small doses and they seem to air more local ads than some of the full-power major owner stations!

Detroit and Grand Rapids, both of whom are (likely) smaller Hispanic markets than Cleveland, have a Spanish AM with an FM translator. I've listened to the Grand Rapids Spanish station in small doses and they seem to air more local ads than some of the full-power major owner stations!
And they have all those local ads because they sell for very low rates.

At least we have gone beyond the "I don't want those people in my store" days of the 60's and 70's.

An Hispanic group could have bought 1540 AM for probably peanuts. Good Karma actually turned in the license.
We are seeing that Hispanics (the lowest AM using group of all) will prefer streaming services over AM.

And that is why Mexico tried to move almost all AMs to FM over the last few years... very little listening.

An Hispanic group could have bought 1540 AM for probably peanuts. Good Karma actually turned in the license.
Even if someone wanted to pay peanuts it would have been far too much for a signal that couldn't get out of the Fairfax neighborhood and had been forgotten about for nearly 20 years.

1540 even had a PSSA of 18 watts that would have been great if you were standing next to the old church bell tower.

Even if someone wanted to pay peanuts it would have been far too much for a signal that couldn't get out of the Fairfax neighborhood and had been forgotten about for nearly 20 years.

1540 even had a PSSA of 18 watts that would have been great if you were standing next to the old church bell tower.
If properly installed, likely someplace in the Flats, it could cover the areas where the largest non-suburban Hispanic populations live. The real issue for AMs like that is the combination of available land and zoning. In most areas, neighbors do not want a tower and it can take years to get zoning approved.

Yep, but doesn't make it out very far. At least not to the Cleveland area.
It's on the fringe side for fixed location listening even in Willoughby. It has a usable signal only in central Lake County and a tidbit of Geauga.

Yep, but doesn't make it out very far. At least not to the Cleveland area.
They seem to reach the eastern suburbs, at least they did several years ago when I worked in Beachwood. It used to annoy me when I tuned to 88.3 in the car on the way home to Parma wanting to listen to WBWC and getting them instead.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom