• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NEW RUMOR!!!

Ah I knew you'd make a joke about that :)
Yeah I used to live at 75 Hale and he was at 675 Hale and I'd get something from "The Art Institute
of Chicago" addressed to Mr John Updike, 75 Hale St...
I pointed it in the right direction. Ah, John. I liked the Witches of Eastwick. And thanks for
your money raising efforts (for chairs) for the Beverly Public Library. Fans bid John Updike adieu.

raccoonradio said:
Hmm--well, we'll have to see if your prediction comes true again (as you did before)! How much would
a station like 1510 cost to buy? Will the signal wind up being better overall than the 1200/1430 combo was?
With a good lineup, promotion, and local hosts, who knows? Suggestions:

The Caroline Kennedy Show: Now that she's not in the running for her uncle's old seat, y'know she,
y'know could like, do an interesting, y'know, take on things. She will decline a salary since her family
is well-endowed. On Fridays, Teresa Heinz Kerry ("I'm Jane Nurse Fuzzy Wuzzy"(sic)) will join her

The Best of Deval Patrick: Two hours worth of his "Massachusetts Success Story" ads, back to back!

Music To Pay Tolls By: Turnpike toll takers are guest DJs, playing favorites like "You Never Give Me
Your Money", "Freeway Of Love", "Massachusetts", and "Sweet Baby James" ("so was the turnpike
from Stockbridge to Boston")

Brother Stair's Prophecies: Yeah, we said no brokered time, but the new 1510 lets him on the air
for free. He will say that the Bible predicted Obama's election in the book of Revelations. However,
atheist protestors will launch a petition drive to get him kicked off the air.
What hoot! Considering broadcasing moves anything is possible,but seriously why not turn the air waves over to Jimmy C. for a really good time. A blend of history, current events, and more fun than "Sat. Night Live". Oh I forgot myself...radio mangers don't like talent they prefer colon cleansers.

As long as the lease on the current transmitter site is in place, any for-profit venture on 1510...especially if it were a stand-alone...(even brokered time) is doomed to failure before it even begins.

BUT
......If 1510 could possibly become a "WBUR-AM", or "WGBH-AM"......THEN, it would be a very different story.

This would make 1510 just one more piece to either the WBUR or WGBH broadcasting empire, and would enable either operator to use 1510 as a place to park 'alternate' programming that otherwise might not make the regular schedules of either 90.9 or 89.7......thus better serving the listenership of either broadcast group.

This way...the hideous cost of the transmitter site lease would simply become part of the overall costs of keeping "your programs" coming to you during either operation's periodic "BEGGING TIME" pledge drives.

There......Problem Solved ;)

Dighton Rockhead said:
If 1510 could possibly become a "WBUR-AM", or "WGBH-AM"......

Not that it affects your argument, which I don't follow, but there already IS a WBUR (AM)--1240 in W Yarmouth. It must be 10 years or close to it since Ernie Boch donated the Cape Cod AM to BU and the 90.9 calls officially became WBUR-FM, so that the Cape Cod AM could become WBUR (AM).

What if 1510 jettisoned its tower lease? Is there an existing site they could move to-even if they had to go back to 5kw days?
What about their old site?

NHRadio said:
What if 1510 jettisoned its tower lease? Is there an existing site they could move to-even if they had to go back to 5kw days?
What about their old site?
Been discussed here ad nauseum. The problem is not days; it's nights. The 1260 site in Milton would work and might even allow 50 kW ND days (but NOT critical hours--would have to be DA CH). Nights would require a huge power reduction--probably to less than 5 kW, which would necessitate changing the CoL to Quincy. That would be doable, but the night signal would cover only a small part of the market. The WEZE site in Medford is another possibility. Would require adding two or three towers between the existing pair. 50 kW-U might be possible BUT the D and CH coverage west of the Wellington Circle site would be poor. A lot of the market would not be covered at night AND during CH.

DanStrassberg said:
Dighton Rockhead said:
If 1510 could possibly become a "WBUR-AM", or "WGBH-AM"......

Not that it affects your argument, which I don't follow, but there already IS a WBUR (AM)--1240 in W Yarmouth. It must be 10 years or close to it since Ernie Boch donated the Cape Cod AM to BU and the 90.9 calls officially became WBUR-FM, so that the Cape Cod AM could become WBUR (AM).

This is such an elegant idea, I'm surprised it needs to be explained again, but here goes:

By becoming a part of the WBUR or WGBH empire, 1510 would become an ADDITIONAL outlet for programs or formats which would not make it onto the regular schedules of WBUR or WGBH.

To use the example of ESPN-1, ESPN-2, etc...1510 would be "WBUR-2"...or "WGBH-2".

Dighton's got the best idea yet.... an AM for either GBH or BUR. (and yes, the Cape Cod 1240 could be changed to WVUR, WDUR, WGUR, etc). These guys have the $$$ to take on that kind of tower lease. - 1510 changing tower sites is not a good idea... or wouldn't WEEI's site be good for that?

Dighton Rockhead said:
This is such an elegant idea, I'm surprised it needs to be explained again, but here goes:

By becoming a part of the WBUR or WGBH empire, 1510 would become an ADDITIONAL outlet for programs or formats which would not make it onto the regular schedules of WBUR or WGBH.

To use the example of ESPN-1, ESPN-2, etc...1510 would be "WBUR-2"...or "WGBH-2".

Elegant...perhaps, but a non sequitur for sure! If a commercial station can't break even on 1510 because of the fixed costs, why on earth would a non-commercial station (or a commercial station owned by a non-commercial station) be able to do so??? 'Splain me that! Moreover, WGBH is already using at least one of its HDn (where n>1) subchannels for the purpose you are suggesting--at much lower cost. I don't know whether WBUR is doing the same thing, but it has that option to do so if it wants to exercise it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom