• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New England rimshot-related questions

I know I've asked this, but I am kind of shocked no one has answered that question. After all, the thread says New England Rimshot Questions and not Boston.

There is no technical definition of a rimshot....so what escatly are you looking for?

There is no list of rimshots. Some people have given you their examples.

What exactly are you looking for?

There is no technical definition of a rimshot....so what escatly are you looking for?

Exactly. Even within the industry there are varying views of what a rimshot is. Some think of it being any station trying to serve a market from outside the market and others think of it as being any partial signal that tries to be a market competitor from a location near the far edges of the market. In fact, the definition may be quite correctly different in each market.

The New England one that quickly comes to mind is WAQY from Springfield being a Hartford rimshot. It has done, historically, a good job even though the 70 dbu does not even get to downtown Hartford, let alone much of the market.

Last edited:

There is no list of rimshots. Some people have given you their examples.

What exactly are you looking for?
I know there is varying definitions. I simply wanted to know what people thought would count as a rimshot because the definitions are so varied.

Exactly. Even within the industry there are varying views of what a rimshot is. Some think of it being any station trying to serve a market from outside the market and others think of it as being any partial signal that tries to be a market competitor from a location near the far edges of the market. In fact, the definition may be quite correctly different in each market.

The New England one that quickly comes to mind is WAQY from Springfield being a Hartford rimshot. It has done, historically, a good job even though the 70 dbu does not even get to downtown Hartford, let alone much of the market.

Ears tell you things meters and maps don't. WAQY is for all intents and purposes a local in Hartford. It even stops the scan on a cheap Insignia portable in my apartment in a brick building 20 miles south of Hartford. It was my go-to station for Patriots football even when WCCC was carrying the games, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom