• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Classic Hits Station

I'm in a part of town that gets the 102.1 translator that rebroadcasts KNMM AM 1150 and it looks like they have dropped the "K-New Mexico" format and is now playing mostly 60s and 70s hits as "Q-102". Of course this translator has very limited coverage to only the northwest and even where it can be picked up there is some static but the rest of the area could probably hear it on AM 1150 however they don't mention the AM signal except at the top of the hour. The AM signal is also weak at night so that is another obstacle.

Some songs played:
John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads
Abba - Dancing Queen
Supertramp - Logical Song
Marvin Gaye - How Sweet It Is
Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
Jefferson Starship - Miracles
Neal Diamond - Shilo
Bee Gees - I've Gotta Get a Message to You
Doobie Brothers - China Grove
America - Ventura Highway
The Supremes - Back in My Arms Again
Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose - Too Late to Turn Back Now

So the format features some older music than KABG which is more 80s centered. KDSK 1240/92.9 also plays music of this era but they also play a lot of obscure music. So can this format get listeners with it's limited coverage?

I would flip KNMM on once in awhile and had noticed they had broadened the base of the music they were playing in Spanish.
However, never really saw that they had developed much for advertising revenue. KANW has had for a long time a foothold on the New Mexico Music format in the northern portion of the state. So, we have a flip to an oldies format taking the "Last Train to Clarksville" before the top of the hour, Fox Newscast and a KOAT local weather forecast then into Santana with a "real DJ" doing the intro. Reminds me of radio back in the day on the local Top 40 station, and I like the memories. Sangre de Cristo Broadcasting does have a Groovin' Oldies FM station in home base Las Vegas NM. Website looks unchanged and no internet stream so far. Also, noticed an application was filed yesterday with the FCC for a new antenna design on 102.1 translator to better serve community of license. I agree KDSK does play a share of obscure tunes, and I find the blend of Grants area commercials with Abq/Rio Rancho material a bit odd.

Thanks for the note on the translator modification. They're implementing a similar antenna strategy that KCKO did . In this case only two Scala beams are employed. Per the application:

"The proposed antenna is a composite pattern comprised of two Scala CA2V antennas skewed 120 degrees mounted at the same height and location as the licensed K271CP operation. The two CA2V antennas will be mounted aimed at 95 degrees True and 315 degrees true".

The translator has little significance. The signal is non-existent in the heights and south of I-40, even on a good car stereo. It's not a bad idea for people that might want to listen on 1150AM during the day. That said, they should mention both the AM and FM frequencies. Branding the station Q102 is a mistake. Most listening happens at home or at work, in a building, and it's nearly impossible to pick up the translator in any building, even in the North Valley. I'm sure AGM is hardly concerned, this is not a viable competitor to KABG. I remember the old KDEF, on 1150AM, when they were Adult Standards in the late 80s/early 90s. Not a bad station, but they were short lived, and I recall attempts at Sports and Spanish though the years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom