• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New book questions....

E

EnergyDeKalb2

Ok, hereare some things I found interesting with this new book....

WLEY the Ley, it has continually gone down ratings wise. Why is this? Is there a move to other stations, is it just sounding old? Given the owner, I doubt it will ever go back to english language....anyone wanna go back to Y108 "Doin' it in the 'Burbs"? lol

So once again Q101 and WCKG have horrible books. I understand Q101 not spending the money on Mancow killing its ratings, but how long do you hang on to this format?

WCKG, thats just pathetic, such a good signal, and a horrible format that no one listens to. Is it that the owners don't care or they don't have any ideas on how to make money for the signal, so they take what they get and use it as a tax write-off??

I won't even get into the whole trimulcast of the old Energy stations, that has been beaten to death, and obviously the owners could care less so they keep this format going no matter what.

I noticed B96 is getting better ratings-wise...why the turnaround since last year? They have stayed under Kiss FM for so long. They used to have such a big presence on the streets, they were a big sounding station, and now they just let Kiss FM overtake them. Will this format they have continue, or will it morph into a more straight edge hip-hop station before long?

Will WGCI continue to hold its top status even though there have been changes internally within the station?

Lets discuss...

how about looking at it from an advertiser point of view.

Look at the audience the station serves. The person who purchases spots is what pays the bills. Do you expect WLEY to ever be #1? Is WLEY listened by the target audience of an advertiser? Walk around the city. What station are people listening to? Are they loyal?

Lets say your boss gives you $1,000,000 ad budget. Do you spend it all on one station that has coverage area from Joliet to Racine Wisconsin.....or do you target your product to a narrow group, and spend much less for more spots....But, you have a better return because in talking to the audience, the smaller stations have loyal listeners that visit places that have spots on the air or promotions.................Remember, if you fail, you are fired. The advertiser money is not mine, it is my boss's. Again, wouldnt it be safer for smaller more targeted groups? WCKG?? WLEY??

I honestly don't know what is going on with CKG. It has been so many, many years since they have been relevant. It must be some sort of tax shelter for someone--I don't know a soul who listens to it.
Energy--did the 9s not show up at all again? (I haven't seen the numbers).

You always have to remember a couple things when looking at ratings:

1. Ratings are always a 3 month rolling average (books being the entire ratings period).
2. Ratings are the result of diary placement (so look at them over the course of 6 months or a year and see if they are going up or down).
3. 21+ ratings mean almost nothing. Look at their target demos, who they are SELLING to. WLUP and WKQX do poorly 12+, but they both do pretty good males 25-54 and 18-34 respectively. Remember, salons won't be advertising on Q101. This is especially important with the 2 sports stations, which look pathetic 12+, but do AMAZINGLY WELL.
4. Revenue is ore important than ratings. A station like 9FM can do poorly ratings-wise, as long as they can sell it. NextMedia stations, for example, break their areas down by county. May not always hit the Chicago 12+, but rule their local markets.

Points to take from this: Q101, WLUP, and 9FM are all UP. Underperformers 12+, but no one sells using those. If you are a sports bar, cross-selling on Q101 and the Loop will be amazing for your business. They make money and sell to their target demos, which is what is important.

In time for the start of the Fall book, Q101 has made appreciable changes to its playlist. A lot of the fringe crap is gone.

Apparently, they, too, felt the station was underperforming. I believe these changes were long overdue.

As far as the 18-34 demo is concerned, I bet the other stations in town that target said demo are beating Q101 in that ratings category.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom