• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Need help identifying some Mexican (or Spanish) signals received in the San Diego area

Hello there - I would like some help identifying some Spanish language signals that don't seem to have any listings when I do a Google search. I was having lunch in my car today at Kate Sessions Park which has a good face toward the south and picked all of these up. I have also picked up some of these signals in other parts of the San Diego area. I don't know if these are pirates or licensed stations and also don't know if they are all from Mexico or if some are just Spanish language signals from the US side.

98.7 - Usually this is strong from KYSR in LA, but I've heard it a couple of times. It seems to be a straight-ahead contemporary format with jocks and liners but I can't find a 98.7 in Baja or otherwise playing Spanish music.

101.7 - This seems to be a badly modulated station that I've picked up in La Mesa, El Cajon and San Diego. It's playing a Christian religious format, mostly music.

103.3 - this is a busy frequency, occupied by KRUZ from Santa Barbara, an FM translator for KLSD (Xtra Sports), an FM translator for KNSN/1240 (K-Brite) and this unidentified Spanish signal, which I THINK is coming from Tijuana. I think I heard Tijuana mentioned on that station once.

104.1 - I think others have mentioned this station before. It appears to be a mainstream Spanish format.

Any help is appreciated. I'm just curious! Thank you. There are a couple of stations from Ensenada that I've picked up in San Diego, 92.9 and 106.9, so I thought maybe these were also coming from there, but can't seem to find listings for them.

They are (almost?) all pirates. There is a 103.3 pirate in Tijuana, Bendición Radio.

If it's pop music, Ensenada's 106.9 XHADA moved to 104.1 years ago with the same facility on an IFT order.

They are (almost?) all pirates.
Agreed. Just ran a search for all FMs on either side of the border inside a 75km radius around San Diego, and except for the translator identified by the OP, nothing licensed on any of those frequencies. (Too bad he didn't get call letters, if indeed there were any given.)

If this is just one time rather than consistent, I'd keep tropo ducting under consideration as a reason, otherwise definitely signals reportable to Uncle Charlie.

I can try and get some IDs and will report back - I used to work for Z-90 in 1989 when they were a Rock 40 format. The studio was on Mt. San Antonio at the transmitter, along with Radio Latina and (then) Fiesta Mexicana at 95.7 (later moved to 99.3). My understanding of Spanish is just good enough that I can get a little bit of what they say and I can usually recognize the Mexican IDs pretty well. I don't think tropo figures in here as these stations can be received fairly consistently. As Sammi mentioned, I kind of figured out that the 104.1 might be the replacement for 106.9 and it would make sense that the signal could be received here. The 98.7 is the one I've only heard twice, once near the airport and the other time was the other day at Kate Sessions Park, while parked in their lot facing south and kind of on a rise that would null KYSR and amplify any signals from the south. It's probably safe to say that we've identified 104.1 and possibly the 103.3 signal. 101.7 can be heard throughout the county but I've never heard an ID. In fact, that one is primarily music with very few spoken words. All I could tell was it was Christian. So that one, and the 98.7, but I will try to get more info and report back if I can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom