• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Need fair comparasin between Tecsun PL-880 and NGWFB Field Radio

I don't have the money or I would be tempted to do it myself. I am looking for "the better of the two" over all.

They have roughly the same specs but my biggest concern is out-of-the-box reception.

The Tecsun pl-880 only has the option of a SW antenna while the NGWFB Field Radio has the option of using a antenna

for FM,LW, ground as well as SW for somone with acess to good coax antennas the NGWFB Field Radio is the better choice hands down but I am more concerned about which one has the better receiver.

I don't have the money or I would be tempted to do it myself. I am looking for "the better of the two" over all.

They have roughly the same specs but my biggest concern is out-of-the-box reception.

The Tecsun pl-880 only has the option of a SW antenna while the NGWFB Field Radio has the option of using a antenna

for FM,LW, ground as well as SW for somone with acess to good coax antennas the NGWFB Field Radio is the better choice hands down but I am more concerned about which one has the better receiver.

One caveat with even an Eton Field Radio is that the external antenna could overload the radio if it's too long. I read that on a Herculodge review. It might depend on the specific model. But guys there also think the new Field Radio is very similar to the older model that could overload if the external antenna was too long.

Of course, if you live in a low signals area, you might not have that problem.

I can hear on a Grundig G2, off the whip, practically every SW station that I can hear on my other digital SW portables (Sangeans, mainly) using a 25-30 ft wire. So don't discount the Tecsun just because it doesn't have an external antenna jack, because it has a SiLabs DSP chip. The SiLabs DSP IF chips work great on SW, at least from my experience.

You may already know all of this, I'm guessing. Just throwing it into the mix.

Never used either of the two models, just going by what I've read on the internet about them. There seem to be plenty of reviews available on both of them.

Good luck in whichever choice you make.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom