• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NBC New Year's Eve

L

lesnessman

If I'm not mistaken, NBC is scheduled to go directly from NFL coverage to New Year's Eve coverage at 11:30pm ET on Sunday evening -- with no time alotted for late local news.

Anyone know of any stations planning to pre-empt the "Ball Drop" for local news instead?

lesnessman said:
If I'm not mistaken, NBC is scheduled to go directly from NFL coverage to New Year's Eve coverage at 11:30pm ET on Sunday evening -- with no time alotted for late local news.

Anyone know of any stations planning to pre-empt the "Ball Drop" for local news instead?

In Buffalo NY there's a local "Ball drop" but I forget who carries it.
A good five years ago I was mad to see that instead of the NY ball drop, but I respect local content.

In recent years Buffalo went to a split screen.
I hope I can count on *A* Buffalo station to show full screen of the famous NY ball drop.
(I'll have two televisions on for this event)

WCAU in Philadelphia will have the Fireworks in Philadelphia on after the football game.

In year's past 11 Alive WXIA has shown the local Peach Drop (which is now in syndication across the country). However now that Gannett has a duopoly, the local event goes to WATL 36 a MYNetworkTV channel and WXIA carries the natonal feed.

KPRC in Houston is airing Local news at 10:30 CT followed by "Sports Sunday" at 11, then NBC's coverage (presumably on a one-hour delay) at 11:30.

It appears the 11:30pm ET NBC show (Carson Daly, et al) is being simulcast on MSNBC (albeit on a ten-second delay from comparing their on-screen clock to my atomic clock).

At least that gives viewers west of the Eastern time zone the opportunity to see it live, rather than delayed to 11:30 local time on their NBC affiliate.

The CNBC simulcast resulted in an awkward transition when SNF ended early, around 11:20. Carson was interviewing Mayor Bloomberg when NBC viewers were dropped in mid-sentence. Daly then stumbled for a moment before welcoming the NBC audience. He looked almost like he couldn't believe that NBC did such a jagged transition from the break between SNF and the Times Square show.

oldiesfan6479 said:
It appears the 11:30pm ET NBC show (Carson Daly, et al) is being simulcast on MSNBC (albeit on a ten-second delay from comparing their on-screen clock to my atomic clock).

At least that gives viewers west of the Eastern time zone the opportunity to see it live, rather than delayed to 11:30 local time on their NBC affiliate.

NBC Universal also simulcast their New Year's Eve show on Bravo.

it was very interesting. At least I didn't have to go very far flipping through to find out what NBC was doing since every ten stations there was another simulcast.

FilmCritic3K said:
NBC Universal also simulcast their New Year's Eve show on Bravo.

Unfortunately, for people in the Mountain time Zone whose cable system takes the West feed for Bravo (or any other network's West feed, if offered), everything airs an hour later than intended. So, for people who have this setup, Carson's show STARTED at Midnight on Bravo and the ball drop occurred at 1am. (Fortunately, CNBC & MSNBC do not offer a West feed, so this didn't happen with those networks.)

The same thing happens with the "Live from the Red Carpet" (LRC) programming on E! - but it's even worse. As an example - for last year's Golden Globe Awards, E!'s LRC coverage ran from Noon to 8p ET/PT, which was perfect in those time zones because NBC affiliates in ET/PT began airing the actual show at 8p. But in the Mountain Time Zone, West Feed E! viewers saw LRC coverage from 1p to 9p...the problem is that NBC affiliates began airing the actual show at 7p. So the pre-show ran side-by-side with the actual awards show for a full two hours (7p-9p).

For the Grammy Awards, LRC coverage ran from 6p to 9p MT...yet CBS affiliates began airing the actual show at 7p MT. So once again, the pre-show ran side-by-side with the actual awards show for a full two hours (7p-9p).

The Academy Awards are an exception. Since ABC airs it live across the country (or at least in the continental U.S.), E! does the same...both the East and West feeds have the live coverage. Last year, coverage ran from Noon to 7:30p ET / 9a to 4:30p PT...the actual awards show began at 8p ET / 5p PT. (I'm not sure why E! didn't continue its coverage right up until 8p ET / 5p ET....maybe ABC, which had its own pre-show from 7p-8p ET / 4p-5p ET, had something to do with it.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom