• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

My Seattle Observations From This Past Weekend

R

radiojjh

Hey--I was in Seattle Saturday afternoon thru Sunday afternoon and of course I listened to the radio when I could.....my view of KMCQ is---they are sounding much more like KJR-FM these days, AND in noticed much of their music is IN MONO. I heard too many songs that I know and they were NOT in stereo. The stereo generator is on, but alot of the music---primarily 60's songs are in MONO. Heard the Monkees--"I'm A Believer," Herman's Hermits "A Kind Of Hush," and the Association "Cherish"---all in MONO. Even some Santana music was mono and so was Supertramp's "Take The Long Way Home." Wazzup with that?!?!?!? Just doesn't sound right at all. And many of the songs I remember hearing on that station weren't playing during this listen. There were some trainwrecks and bad mixes like "Love Rollercoaster" into Edwin Star and "War," and minutes later hearing "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. Whoever is scheduling music can do a much better job.....And I am hearing more 80's than I expected to hear---just a surprise to hear "Glory Days" by Springsteen. That is 1985. And all their imaging says "songs from the 60's and 70's."

Other observations: KJR-FM does sound better now than they used to. A bit more variety than over the past couple of years. And it's interesting they simply bill themselves as "KJR" rather than KJR-FM, at least the time I heard them---primarily the on-air talent. Other stuff I listened to:

KOMO does a great job with their news presentation--their 97.7 FM came is very good in Bellevue and all over Seatle.

KIRO-FM's weekend block is a little lame, reminded very much of an NPR station with some of the content that I heard.

KIXI is playing stuff that is simply too old---Now I can understand why their ratings are shrinking---their audience is dying off. There is so much great stuff they could play but DON'T.

KVI was BORING.

And I was surprised to see how poorly KRIZ/1420's signal is. I was staying in Federal Way and it wouldn't hardly come in on my nice Bose stereo in my Toyota Solara.

KRKO/1380 came in fine in Federal Way. As did their sister station 1520/KKXA.

KWRM musically is sounding very good...only a few songs that made me want to turn the dial---just songs that I personally can't stand---"Walking In Memphis" by Mark Cohn, and I loathe "At This Moment," by Billy Vera & The Beaters. And one I didn't hear that I hate is "Break My Stride," by Matthew Wilder.

107.7 The End sounds very lost like they don't have a clue what they are playing musically, and same thing with the 103.7 The Mountain. Don't really know WHAT they are doing, either.

Also curious in downtown Seattle my scan stopped at 94.5 and it was very dance-oriented music and I can't remember what they called themselves.....something like "the best something...which I could remember. Don't think it was KXRY from Shelton unless they have tweaked their music. Never heard them identify themselves.

KXXO/96.1 musically is ok....their weekend talent some guy named "JJ"(no relation to me--JJ) was very lame. Sounded like a no experience small market jock. Talked and said "nothing."

Overall--with the exception of the Mariners games that I do listen to. I mainly switched back and forth between KJR-FM and KMCQ---they sound like cousins, only KMCQ doesn't air very many commercials---that station HAS so much potential. Interesting when someone buys it what they will do with it. They sounded alot like KJR-FM when KMCQ played "Lights" by Journey.

Lots of dancy CHR 92.5, 93.3, 106.1

KPLZ/Star 101.5 sounded pretty focused. Surprised to hear their weekend mix of music, rather than 80's think they were billing it as "Modern Music Weekend."

KZOK 102.5 wasn't too bad from the bits and pieces that I heard.

Lots of waste on the AM band wow....so many infomercials and NOT alot worth listening to at all.

Stations that I did listen to on AM for awhile without having to change due to an infomercial:

630, 710, 770, 820, 880, 950, 1000, 1030, 1090, 1180, 1250, 1450, 1560, 1590, 1620, 1680.

KKOL at 1300 was NOTHING but infomercials when I listened at various times throughout the weekend.....

Alrighty---there's my observations for this past weekend...

now---everyone else's "two cents...."

:cool:

JJ

The 94.5 is "The Most Hit Music, Hot Jamz Radio"-KMIH 88.9's xlator in White Center.

Warm is starting to play a few songs that feel like Hot AC to me. For example: "When It's Over" Sugar Ray really isn't a soft rock song.

And KMCQ is a trainwreck of overplayed KJR stuff. It's awful that they don't play "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" anymore.

-crainbebo

Thanks for the info on 94.5. Imaging was good and the station sounded good...just didn't know what it was, and I was listening to them loud and clear at Dick's Drive-Inn on 45th just before noon time today! They boomed right in!!

radiojjh said:
Thanks for the info on 94.5. Imaging was good and the station sounded good...just didn't know what it was, and I was listening to them loud and clear at Dick's Drive-Inn on 45th just before noon time today! They boomed right in!!

Their signal is off of Capitol Hill off one of those towers.....

Hey JJ - Glad that you are still posting. You always provide an excellent analysis and insight into Seattle Radio and I hope you had an opportunity to enjoy a Dick's burger. How are things in Bismark? I'm sure you will be a great asset to the station and community.

KMCQ is a train wreck as you reported. They are imaging as "Good Times and Great Classic Hits" as a play on the old KBSG liner. They are programmed by Tom Oakes (Ohana Media) from Anchorage.) Ohana is run by folks formerly associated with New Northwest Broadcasters which failed and filed for bankruptcy a few years ago. There are so many folks expressing their discontent of the change over on the face book page (accessed through www.americanpopradio.com. Interestingly enough, I researched the R-I boards for similar comments when KBSG switched to KIRO (and there were surprisingly very few!) KMCQ cultivated a very loyal following and did manage to attain a 2.7 share for 4 months this year (recent share is unknown since Arbitron no longer reports for non-subscribers)

I agree with your assessment of The Mountain and The End and wouldn't be surprised to see one or both with a major format flip. KVI also committed "suicide" by their recent format flips.

Again, thanks for keeping us "posted" and best wishes.

WDAE-FM101 said:
Hey JJ - Glad that you are still posting. You always provide an excellent analysis and insight into Seattle Radio and I hope you had an opportunity to enjoy a Dick's burger. How are things in Bismark? I'm sure you will be a great asset to the station and community.

KMCQ is a train wreck as you reported. They are imaging as "Good Times and Great Classic Hits" as a play on the old KBSG liner. They are programmed by Tom Oakes (Ohana Media) from Anchorage.) Ohana is run by folks formerly associated with New Northwest Broadcasters which failed and filed for bankruptcy a few years ago. There are so many folks expressing their discontent of the change over on the face book page (accessed through www.americanpopradio.com. Interestingly enough, I researched the R-I boards for similar comments when KBSG switched to KIRO (and there were surprisingly very few!) KMCQ cultivated a very loyal following and did manage to attain a 2.7 share for 4 months this year (recent share is unknown since Arbitron no longer reports for non-subscribers)

I agree with your assessment of The Mountain and The End and wouldn't be surprised to see one or both with a major format flip. KVI also committed "suicide" by their recent format flips.

WHAT?!!!! Other people are not happy with the changes at KMCQ? How did this post ever last this long without a critical, condescending comment from the radio genius by the name of AQH?

Hey---I'm doing great in Bismarck---the response has been really great--almost overwhelming. Bismarck I've discovered quickly is one of the friendliest cities I've ever worked in. Very pleasant surprise. It sure is fun programming the music once again---KACL "Cool 98.7" is "Classic Hits," and NO not the same stuff again and again. Lots of variety and not boring. I do have a "BOB-FM" (like Jack-FM), and another classic hits station called "MOJO-FM"--only a little more edgier than my station. They play a real weird mix of music with many train wrecks...something soft, then an unfamiliar song by ZZ Top. So I just need to really play the very best and I'm very selective with the songs and the order they are played in. You can listen on line www.cool987fm.com I'd love feedback from you folks. There are alot of songs to be added to the library---just waiting for those to arrive!! It's fun being back on in the morning and programming again. Doing real radio!!!

toonces2u said:
WDAE-FM101 said:

WHAT?!!!! Other people are not happy with the changes at KMCQ? How did this post ever last this long without a critical, condescending comment from the radio genius by the name of AQH?

Thanks for reminding me Toonces. I forgot to ask JJ if he recieved Jack Griffin's apology

Had this been your initial post to JJ's announcement there would, most likely, never been the negative reaction from the RI posters. A little nuance and subletly can convey how humble, compassionate and caring you can be.

Great initial post, JJ. I'm glad there are still radio nerds like us out there who get a kick out of monitoring a market like you did!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom