• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Move-in signals

H

HurricaneRun

I am curious about the strength of the move-in signals into the Salt Lake City market (I'm not in Utah). From the FCC coverage maps I have looked at, SLC looks like one of the better markets for move-ins because of how far west Farnsworth peak is for the primary signals allowing the move-ins to theoretically cover most of the populated valley areas with a 60dbu.

How do stations like KJQN, KBMG, KYLZ, and KGNT sound in the car in Salt Lake City and Provo? Do they pass the "Walkman test"?

HR

> How do stations like KJQN, KBMG, KYLZ, and KGNT sound in the
> car in Salt Lake City and Provo? Do they pass the "Walkman
> test"?

First thing you need to understand is that very little of the main signal (the full class C transmitter) actually makes it to the metro area at all. They're very noisy even with a good radio, and forget about the 'Walkman test'. Flunkarooney.

Nearly all of the usable signal comes from the multitude of boosters spread throughout the valley. When you look at the power levels (even taking the directional signals into account) you can see the problem. Some places would get a pretty good signal from the boosters, others you'd need to have a lot of patience and in others you couldn't hear them at all. They are at a distinct disadvantage.

(P.S. KYLZ and KGNT haven't made their moves to the rimshot location at Humpy Peak yet.)

> > How do stations like KJQN, KBMG, KYLZ, and KGNT sound in
> the
> > car in Salt Lake City and Provo? Do they pass the
> "Walkman
> > test"?
>
> First thing you need to understand is that very little of
> the main signal (the full class C transmitter) actually
> makes it to the metro area at all. They're very noisy even
> with a good radio, and forget about the 'Walkman test'.
> Flunkarooney.
>
> Nearly all of the usable signal comes from the multitude of
> boosters spread throughout the valley. When you look at the
> power levels (even taking the directional signals into
> account) you can see the problem. Some places would get a
> pretty good signal from the boosters, others you'd need to
> have a lot of patience and in others you couldn't hear them
> at all. They are at a distinct disadvantage.
>
> (P.S. KYLZ and KGNT haven't made their moves to the rimshot
> location at Humpy Peak yet.)

Also, I want to clarify (I may just be mis-interpreting the initial post) - these stations are NOT on Farnsworth Peak. That is where virtually all the original "Salt Lake -Ogden - Provo" signals sit. KHTB 94.9 is on Lake Mountain as is KKAT-FM (Orem) 107.5.

Yes, these stations signals are strong because of boosters, not the main transmitters. I agree there.

> Also, I want to clarify (I may just be mis-interpreting the
> initial post) - these stations are NOT on Farnsworth Peak.
> That is where virtually all the original "Salt Lake -Ogden -
> Provo" signals sit. KHTB 94.9 is on Lake Mountain as is
> KKAT-FM (Orem) 107.5.

I think you did. The reference to Farnsworth is that Farnsworth is to the west which allows the move-ins (or move-overs) to put a city grade signal over the metro, in theory.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom