• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Most Powerful High School Stations

aaronread said:
I think there's a couple of 100kW high school stations in Texas, but I couldn't tell you exactly who.

That's insane!

I know we are not considered very large, 1.2kw (1200watts). South Bend Community Schools owns WETL, 3kw.

If it's large audience you are looking for, WBDG (Ben Davis High School) in Indianapolis entered the September PPM with an eclectic pop-variety format. My guess is the listening happened during football on Friday nights. The station is only .4kw

KEOM 88.5 Mesquite ISD 61000w at 175m
The signal is directional but covers all of Dallas and the eastern half of the Dallas/Fort Worth metro.
It runs a 70s-based classic hits format complete with TMCentury jingles. They also have a slate of short-form educational features and sports coverage from the district's five high schools. Usually averages about a 0.5 in the DFW PPMs. All in all a very well-run operation.

http://www.keom.fm/

I was going to mention a great high school station I heard many years ago WYCS Yorktown, VA which used to run a sweeper proclaiming they were the highest powered high school station in the country. However, when I searched just now to see if they are still around, I see they sold it to a religious broadcaster in 1996.

Domingo said:
The signal is directional but covers all of Dallas and the eastern half of the Dallas/Fort Worth metro.
It runs a 70s-based classic hits format complete with TMCentury jingles. They also have a slate of short-form educational features and sports coverage from the district's five high schools. Usually averages about a 0.5 in the DFW PPMs. All in all a very well-run operation.

http://www.keom.fm/

Professional? and just owned by a school district? Or actually student run?

90.5 WCVH is a student run, district owned, non profit country music station in Central NJ. We broadcast at 78 watts from the top of a police radio tower.

It runs a 70s-based classic hits format complete with TMCentury jingles. They also have a slate of short-form educational features and sports coverage from the district's five high schools. Usually averages about a 0.5 in the DFW PPMs. All in all a very well-run operation. http://www.keom.fm/

Professional? and just owned by a school district? Or actually student run?

I believe I've heard of this station before: they have a professional manager/teacher but it's students otherwise...but it's run VERY much like a commercial station. Students are required to stick to the format - intentionally chosen to be something most students wouldn't normally play themselves and thus force them out of their comfort zone - and they learn a lot about how to work within a typical commercial format. Supposedly it's one of the high school stations in the country for actually learning about radio.

aaronread said:
I believe I've heard of this station before: they have a professional manager/teacher but it's students otherwise...but it's run VERY much like a commercial station. Students are required to stick to the format - intentionally chosen to be something most students wouldn't normally play themselves and thus force them out of their comfort zone - and they learn a lot about how to work within a typical commercial format. Supposedly it's one of the high school stations in the country for actually learning about radio.

That's what I do here at WEEM (near Indianapolis). We run an adult rock leaning hot ac and my assistant and I run this thing like we ran commercial stations. Students start at the bottom and work up to on-air jock. That way they pay attention and learn the basics of production, writing and voice work before they get to, what most students think is the top (or most fun), DJ'ing. Does anyone have contact information for this instructor?

Supposedly it's one of the high school stations in the country for actually learning about radio.

Sorry - I meant to write: Supposedly it's one of the best high school stations in the country for actually learning about radio.

BTW, it's important to remember that there's more than a few stations in the Midwest, including Texas, that might have 100kW ERP and cover 1000's of square miles...but only cover a comparative handful of actual people. Some of that country just has reeeeeeally low population density, and you NEED that 100,000w ERP to reach anyone! ::)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom