• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

MJ McDermott announces retirement; replacement named

MJ McDermott morning meteorologist at Q13 announced on her social media pages she is retiring after 19 years at Q13. She says her last day may be October 1st but likely will stick around a few extra days to help train her replacement, Brian MacMillan who joins Q13 from Fox 12 in Portland, OR

I figure MJ is about 60. This is a few years too early to retire but who knows how the conversations were going as a FOX O&O station.

Regardless, she's had a remarkable career in the Seattle market. Eighteen years on the morning news is a great run, particularly for someone who transitioned from acting and childrens' television to weather sort of late in their career.

I don't know that a 40 year old would get a sniff for a full time weather job in a top 15 market these days without having worked their way up from market 100 and 15 years of on air weather experience.

A really nice feature by Felix Banel for KIRO Radio on MJ's career.

Felix interviewed Winslow Barger, who may still be like the one local guy working at Channel 11. He even voiced a farewell message for MJ as Rosco which for those of us of a certain age is a voice we'll never forget.

She's 62, so she's technically retirement age. Her replacement is already set. It will always be unclear whether she let them know a few months ago she was going to retire and gave them time to find a replacement or if they let her know she was going to be non-renewed (new ownership) and gave her the opportunity to retire instead.

Her career has really been incredible, and she will be missed.

Beloved kids' show host turned meteorologist M.J. McDermott hangs up her barometer (mynorthwest.com)

MJ has posted memories of her long career to her facebook page.

One thing I didn't know was that after Rosco and Ronnie ended she was on Kidstar. Presumably she had an air name - I don't recall "MJ King" or "MJ McDermott" as one of the DJs (I'll always remember Maura Gallucci).

She was on maternity leave when KidStar closed down and realized she need to pivot back to broadcasting, didn't want to be a reporter, so decided on weather and was off to the UW with newborn twins at home.

Maura Gallucci did some news fill-ins @ KJR in early 90's -- and I remember thinking she has remarkable talent. Was so happy to see her career take off.

I wonder how many thousands of Pet Walk Forecasts she did as a Q13 meteorologist? Our family loved waking up with her and Bill Wixey and Adam Gehrke...have fun with retirement!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom