• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mississippi boy in the news

Kinda surprised that no one has mentioned native son Bob Pittman buying into Clear Channel. The news items have him starting at Brookhaven's WCHJ, but I did not know he was also a WJDX-FM'er (from pages 89-91 of AOL history book "Fools Rush In") -- although I thought he was at WRBC.

We've lost our board's "historian" Bob Rall, maybe someone else can fill in some local Pittman history?

Bob may have been at other stations, but I know at one point he was at WJMI-FM and WRBC.

As a kid, Pittman was a dj at one of the stations (WCHJ) in Brookhaven... around 1966 or so... He also worked at WJDX-AM/WZZQ some, back around 1971... he was PD at WMAQ/Chicago around 1975... then he went to New York after that, I believe. Was it WNBC? Then I think the MTV project began.

His WCHJ work was fun. He was the local high school student who had that block of top 40 programming where the dj played the hits and Coca-Cola commercials... seems like every small town in Mississippi had a show like that back in the 60s pre-FM days.

He did work at WRBC... also at WDRQ Detroit and WPEZ Pittsburgh as I recall; also WMAQ 670 Chicago (NBC O&O) when it switched to country (about 1975?) then NBC moved him to WNBC NYC.

In a "back-door" type of way, Bob was responsible for me getting into radio. In 1974, I was growing up in the Chicagoland area, and one of my favorite stations was WMAQ-AM. It was an Adult Contemporary station featuring air personalities from the WLS and WCFL era.
In October of that year, WMAQ announced they were going to switch formats to country in January, 1975.(Hard to believe in those days you could announce a format change that was coming up in a couple of months...unlike to today, where it's simply "flipped"!)

Anyway, I was ticked that the ac format was going away, but I was intrigued by the fact that a station could be ac one day, and country the next. Bob Pittman was the pd and overseeing the change with GM Charlie Warner. He did some weekend work on WMAQ during the final weeks as an ac station...calling himself "Bob". He later did weekends with the country format and temporarily held afternoon drive after the initial jock, Corky Mayberry left.

I called Bob a couple of times on the request line before and after the format change as a curious listener and he was very nice in explaining the situation. I was very interested in because I was totally transfixed on this format change. The final days that WMAQ was an ac station, they saluted the top five radio stations in Chicago...stating that WMAQ would soon "be one of them". The following year, WCFL switched to beautiful music, and I was determined to get into this crazy biz. Bob, of course, made Chicago headlines the following year when he developed WKQX as an album rock station...going commerical free for the first month as the bait, which worked as well.
He was rewarded with a transfer to New York and his soaring career was underway. Thanks, Bob...for giving me the insentive to get into radio!

John "Patrick" Bowler

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom