• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mexico's wacky FM/AM grant

oldjohnny

Inactive
Inactive User
I heard this the other day and I just want clarifitcation on this. I heard that Mexiso's SCT has passed a new law that grants any AM station liscence holder an alloted space for FM Radio and vice versa. In other words, if you own an AM radio station in Mexico today, you just have been granted an extram FM radio station for free. How true is this?

Willis1000 said:
It's not a done deal. But it is similar to what's happening in Canada. It's a migration of AM stations to the FM band. Existing AMers would get an FM channel except in the major markets where the FM band is already full. I'm not sure what kind of power and tower height they're talking about. Details are still being worked out.

http://laradioenmexico.com/si-envio-sct-a-cofemer-el-acuerdo-para-combos/

The move is optional. If there are limited available channels on FM, there will be a bidding process to determine the grants.

In addition, there will be a grant tax based on future revenue potential.

DavidEduardo said:
Willis1000 said:
It's not a done deal. But it is similar to what's happening in Canada. It's a migration of AM stations to the FM band. Existing AMers would get an FM channel except in the major markets where the FM band is already full. I'm not sure what kind of power and tower height they're talking about. Details are still being worked out.

http://laradioenmexico.com/si-envio-sct-a-cofemer-el-acuerdo-para-combos/

The move is optional. If there are limited available channels on FM, there will be a bidding process to determine the grants.

In addition, there will be a grant tax based on future revenue potential.
Mhh, I guess the time to buy AM radio in Mexico is good. There are some small towns and mid size markets (Like San Luis Potosi and Queretaro) that seem to have enough space in the FM dial. Anyone, what are the requirements to own Radio in Mexico? Do you have to be a Citizen? If so, can you be a naturalized Mexican citizen?

oldjohnny said:
Mhh, I guess the time to buy AM radio in Mexico is good. There are some small towns and mid size markets (Like San Luis Potosi and Queretaro) that seem to have enough space in the FM dial. Anyone, what are the requirements to own Radio in Mexico? Do you have to be a Citizen? If so, can you be a naturalized Mexican citizen?

Even Mexico City with a bit of reassignment can accomodate several more FMs. Nearly every other larger city can accept many of them, and the smaller markets dozens.

Currently, a foreign company can own half of a station, and the other half has to be owned by a Mexican or a Mexican corporation. Clear Channel owns half of Grupo Acir, and PRISA from Spain owns half of Televisa Radio and has a full management contract governing the other half.

What are FM allocations like over in Michoacan? Zamora for example has no less than three AM stations and only two FM stations - one being a repeater for the statewide public radio network, the other being owned by the same company that owns all three AM stations.

I don't think anyone on this board could tell you. But what I can tell you is that more than likely, there are open spots in the dial. Almost anywhere in Mexico (Exceptions being the borders, Mexico city, Guadalajara, and Monterrey), you can find open spots on the dial. San Luis Potosi for example has the dial clear from 100.1 all the way to 105.7. Almost the same thing for Santiago de Queretaro (Both these cities are a little more than 200 km away from each other) I'm pretty shure you can fit at least two station in both of those major markets. Also, don't forget that the rules for Commercial stations are different in Mexico. This means that commercial stations can operate below 91.9 FM.

My question is, what does the U.S. have to say about this? I know alot of broadcasters will jump on this opportunity. If Mexico fills the dial, it will leave no space for U.S. broadcasters to move around or file for new stations. I'm not an FCC guru, but I'm shure the FCC will say something regarding this issue.

oldjohnny said:
I don't think anyone on this board could tell you.

Unlike the US, Mexico does not have a table of allocations for FM. AM and FM are both assigned in an "on demand" system.

But what I can tell you is that more than likely, there are open spots in the dial. Almost anywhere in Mexico (Exceptions being the borders, Mexico city, Guadalajara, and Monterrey), you can find open spots on the dial.

Yes, even Mexico City with a bit of shuffling, can accomdate more signals.

My question is, what does the U.S. have to say about this? I know alot of broadcasters will jump on this opportunity. If Mexico fills the dial, it will leave no space for U.S. broadcasters to move around or file for new stations. I'm not an FCC guru, but I'm shure the FCC will say something regarding this issue.

All assignments in the border zone are subject to the agreements of the Comisión Mixta, which can reserve channels... as Mexico does with a dummy set of calls... but on the US side, any desirable allocation was taken long ago.

Don't forget you have to compete with the big boys for these new channels. They own AMs, too and will look to parlay their long-time investment into additional FM signals in their existing markets.

Also Mexico is just beginning to discover move-ins and rim shots so look for small market signals to upgrade and make their move to the big city.

Cofetel unveils first phase covering the Yucatan Peninsula.

Las ciudades beneficiadas son Becal, Campeche, Ciudad del Carmen, Francisco Escárcega, Palizada, Xpujil y Tenabo en Campeche. Cancún, Chetumal y Felipe Carrillo Puerto en Quintana Roo. Cárdenas, Comalcalco, Cunduacán, Macuspana, Tenosique y Villahermosa en Tabasco, así como Mérida, Peto, Tizimín y Valladolid en Yucatán.

http://www.cft.gob.mx/wb/Cofetel_2008/332008

There will be two classes of stations awarded: 6kw at 100 meters and 25kw at 100 meters (or equivalent.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom