• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Meanwhile, at Amazon Prime...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daryl, Chimp's also responding to a comment he made in another thread about having too much stuff already saved to watch streaming.

My "Obama shrug" was a reaction to VChimp (a grown man in his 50s) prioritizing "Nancy Drew".

The discussion of what content exists on YouTube was prompted by boombox's claim---true on its face---that YouTube is a bigger force in streaming video than Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney/Hulu or Max.

That prompted @DavidEduardo to discuss the different type of content YouTube provides compared to the others, which brought an example from CTListener, and so on.

The real estate listing was an inside joke. Everyone else here got it.
You sent him the "Obama GIF", which is used throughout the internet to signify that someone is off-topic and being irrelevant.

That's a signal to David to close the thread down, because it went off-topic, for which you're blaming Chimp, because you sent him the "Obama GIF."

But, you're the one who posted the real estate video. (Even if it was a joke, you still posted it. And David posted about duck calls. You can imagine if Chimp or I posted about duck calls. We'd be banned permanently from here for being trolls).

So, what happened here was that you and others changed the topic (even as a joke) by talking about amateur videos with amateur music, and Chimp followed along. FYBush is probably correct -- there is some issue of neurodivergency at play here.......but it's not always Chimp's fault, nor is it always my fault about delving off-topic.

The duck calling video post was mine. David was responding to my earlier post of dashcam video in Stuttgart, Arkansas, where I worked for three years. The duck calling contest is held in Stuttgart. And both videos were posted before the real estate video that was a dig at Chimp, so there's no need to include either in your criticism of this thread, Daryl.

Sadly, as much fun as it has been, the thread seems to have run its course, and I wouldn't mind if David were to close it.

Last edited:
You sent him the "Obama GIF", which is used throughout the internet to signify that someone is off-topic and being irrelevant.

Thanks for the education. That’s not why I used it, which I said clearly above.

That's a signal to David to close the thread down, because it went off-topic, for which you're blaming Chimp, because you sent him the "Obama GIF."

Again, that’s not why I posted that.

David can and will make his own decisions about whether this thread closes or not.

But, you're the one who posted the real estate video. (Even if it was a joke, you still posted it. And David posted about duck calls. You can imagine if Chimp or I posted about duck calls. We'd be banned permanently from here for being trolls).

That’s what it would take?

So, what happened here was that you and others changed the topic (even as a joke) by talking about amateur videos with amateur music, and Chimp followed along. FYBush is probably correct -- there is some issue of neurodivergency at play here.......but it's not always Chimp's fault, nor is it always my fault about delving off-topic.

Thanks again for explaining to us what we did.

Yes, exactly right ! I certainly agree. You think the production values of the amateur video content is boring. You say the background music is trite.
Just to be clear, I didn't say any of those things.

It is just 2 different opinions. But his thoughts are still relevant to the topic, because you are both talking about amateur-produced videos.
I guess I'm just an elitist Rocky Mountain coastal type. Must be that land-grant university education, the one with the full-ride academic scholarship that I had to work hard to keep. I avoid being closed-minded but I'm not going to say something is beautiful when it really is crap. Quality matters.

With respect, following your previous rant, and after others gave an explanation/rebuttal, @fybush, a moderator of this site, posted some comments to try and stop the bickering and the inane back and forth. That should have put an end to all of this. Now, a few hours after Scott tried to stop the bickering and bring the thread back on track, you've insisted on posting these additional comments and having another go at @michael hagerty, which took it right back to personal attacks and something akin to a pre-school "But He Started It!" and "I Know You Are But What Am I"-type banter when a teacher is trying to break up a schoolyard tussle. Can we please take Scott's strong hint as a moderator and stop this, and agree to move this thread back on topic and some semblance of a "radio/TV/media discussion thread?"

Just to be clear, I didn't say any of those things.

I guess I'm just an elitist Rocky Mountain coastal type. Must be that land-grant university education, the one with the full-ride academic scholarship that I had to work hard to keep. I avoid being closed-minded but I'm not going to say something is beautiful when it really is crap. Quality matters.
I agree with you that quality matters. No issue at all with that. Furthermore, I don't think you're some kind of "coastal elite." ( I think that's some kind of meaningless political term). I think you're a nice person who has lots of interesting viewpoints. On most topics, I agree w/ you 100% of the time.

I just don't want the thread shut down about a difference of opinion on types of background music for real-estate ads on You Tube.

At this exact moment in time, I think this thread is just fine, and I would like to keep it open. Thank you, from Daryl

With respect, following your previous rant, and after others gave an explanation/rebuttal, @fybush, a moderator of this site, posted some comments to try and stop the bickering and the inane back and forth. That should have put an end to all of this. Now, a few hours after Scott tried to stop the bickering and bring the thread back on track, you've insisted on posting these additional comments and having another go at @michael hagerty, which took it right back to personal attacks and something akin to a pre-school "But He Started It!" and "I Know You Are But What Am I"-type banter when a teacher is trying to break up a schoolyard tussle. Can we please take Scott's strong hint as a moderator and stop this, and agree to move this thread back on topic and some semblance of a "radio/TV/media discussion thread?"
It wasn't a rant. I was defending Chimp. I didn't want the thread shut down.

It wasn't a rant. I was defending Chimp. I didn't want the thread shut down.
The comments @michael hagerty made were posted at 6:20 p.m. eastern. Scott @fybush's moderator plea to try and bring the discussion back to a talk about "media" and to stop the bickering were made at 6:33 p.m. You chose to then go back and post again, responding to Michael's earlier comments and resume the childish squabble at 8:17 p.m. It was unnecessary and exactly what Scott was trying to prevent and put an end to. Please stop.

I mean you could make that argument about P***Hub and its X-rated competitors too. I'd provide a comparison chart of those viewing percentages versus legitimate streamers, but someone else can put that one into their search history, thank you very much.
The Nielsen Gauge, I think, accounts for that. In "Other", about 10.7% of all viewing.

As for Amazon Prime itself, Amazon generally do not fail when they roll out or add to a new service. The folks running the company are pretty smart. Like other big companies, they do tweak their offerings from time to time, but 10 years from now I'd guess they'll be an even bigger player in the video streaming world than they are now. They already have a pretty big reach, and they know how to work internet commerce.

RE: The thread: I guess I missed the controversy. I think the thread should be kept going, if possible. Internet delivery of media is the future, and I think it's important to discuss, as it also ultimately affects Radio as much as it affects TV, Cable, etc.

I agree with you that quality matters. No issue at all with that. Furthermore, I don't think you're some kind of "coastal elite." ( I think that's some kind of meaningless political term).
Just to be clear, I was trying to be funny when using that term. But if one has to say, "that was comedy", it probably really wasn't.

Mike Hagerty was also joking when he applied it to me. I thought it was funny.

I'll go back to configuring my new Roku box now. It's great. I had to figure out the difference between an "app" and a "channel", but data structures are old hat for me. I wish YouTube TV would offer a sports-free package, because the less said about Pat McAfee, the better, but it's working out well otherwise.

(And, in some sort of weird cosmic irony, KGNU just started up playing Roger Miller's Where Have All The Average People Gone?)

(Edit: Followed by the Replacements' [You Ain't Nothin' But a] Waitress in the Sky.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom