• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

May 2023 Bay Area Radio PPM Ratings

Here are the May 2023 San Francisco Radio PPM Ratings:

And the May 2023 San Jose Radio PPM Ratings:

Any thoughts or observations?

Covering the survey period from Thu. 4/27/2023 thru Wed. 5/24/2023, age 6+ overall alternate views
(may not be updated in all browsers):
San Francisco: https://radioinsight.com/ratings/san-francisco/
San Jose: https://radioinsight.com/ratings/san-jose/

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis for ages 25-54, 18-34 + 18-49:

25-54: 1. KOIT 2. KMEL (up from #5) 3. KMVQ 4. KISQ 5. KIOI 6. KYLD
18-34: 1. KOIT 2. KMEL 3. KMVQ 4. KYLD 5. KIOI 6. KBLX
18-49: 1. KOIT 2. KMEL 3. KMVQ 4. KIOI 5. KISQ 6. KYLD

KOSF, KRBQ, KSAN and KVVF continue to be in the low end of ratings. I’d love to know how these stations bill and if there’s any risk of them being changed in any degree.

KYLD making a surprise appearance, think our market is heavily over saturated with Top 40 across the 3 Hot AC’s that play it (97.3, 101.3, 106.5… the last one being top 40 in all but name now) and the 3 CHR’s (94.9, 99.7, 106.1) so I’m not surprised.

Last edited:
KOSF, KRBQ, KSAN and KVVF continue to be in the low end of ratings. I’d love to know how these stations bill and if there’s any risk of them being changed in any degree.

KYLD making a surprise appearance, think our market is heavily over saturated with Top 40 across the 3 Hot AC’s that play it (97.3, 101.3, 106.5… the last one being top 40 in all but name now) and the 3 CHR’s (94.9, 99.7, 106.1) so I’m not surprised.
KOSF and KSAN ratings will probably rise now that Dave FM is gone, Dave really hurt their ratings in the end. But that is over now.

Can someone explain KOIT's ratings? Are more people just listening at work?
Can someone explain KQED's precipitous drop? No. What's more likely than thousands of NPR junkies suddenly going on a bender for "Light Rock, Less Talk" is that some of the PPM holders turned over. The former participants leaned more heavily to news and talk, and the newer ones prefer music. I'm sure David will be along in a moment to tell me why I'm wrong, but swings like we've seen lately just scream statistical anomaly or sampling bias.

Can someone explain KQED's precipitous drop? No. What's more likely than thousands of NPR junkies suddenly going on a bender for "Light Rock, Less Talk" is that some of the PPM holders turned over. The former participants leaned more heavily to news and talk, and the newer ones prefer music. I'm sure David will be along in a moment to tell me why I'm wrong, but swings like we've seen lately just scream statistical anomaly or sampling bias.
Nielsen has been having sample issues in many markets.

My key example is that half of the LA Spanish dominant sample is Central American in a market where Hispanics are nearly 90% Mexican or Mexican American. This dramatically affects listening, as the two groups have radically different taste.

Things like this happen when the sample is not at its necessary size, and the panelists who do particpate are overweighted, making them have greater influence over the results than they should.

Things like this happen when the sample is not at its necessary size, and the panelists who do particpate are overweighted, making them have greater influence over the results than they should.
I had an experience with Nielsen a couple of years ago that might be illustrative. My mother had died, and my wife and I were stuck in Florida cleaning out the house to get it ready to be sold. One Friday evening, a call came in with a Caller ID from Nielsen Research, and I foolishly answered it. Since it was a landline, the lady at the other end assumed I was the resident and proceeded to monopolize over an hour of my time. (And the time was 7 pm, dinnertime.) Over and over it was "just going to be another few minutes" or "just a few more questions". By the time I'd extricated myself from the call, I'd burned up about 75 minutes and my wife was piping mad.

A few days later, I received a short (few pages) questionnaire, and I filled it out and sent it back. It contained a crisp dollar bill for my trouble.

Another week goes by and another envelope arrives from Nielsen, this time containing a cover letter, a sixty-odd page consumer survey for me to fill out and a crisp five dollar bill. And I'm not even a resident of Florida, having lived in the SF Bay Area for nearly four decades. But the vaunted research behemoth never thought to ask me that question.

Deciding that $5 wasn't worth it, I sent the whole thing back. Though I wonder if I had filled it out and returned it, would the next ask have been carrying around their PPM?

I had an experience with Nielsen a couple of years ago that might be illustrative. My mother had died, and my wife and I were stuck in Florida cleaning out the house to get it ready to be sold. One Friday evening, a call came in with a Caller ID from Nielsen Research, and I foolishly answered it. Since it was a landline, the lady at the other end assumed I was the resident and proceeded to monopolize over an hour of my time. (And the time was 7 pm, dinnertime.) Over and over it was "just going to be another few minutes" or "just a few more questions". By the time I'd extricated myself from the call, I'd burned up about 75 minutes and my wife was piping mad.

A few days later, I received a short (few pages) questionnaire, and I filled it out and sent it back. It contained a crisp dollar bill for my trouble.

Another week goes by and another envelope arrives from Nielsen, this time containing a cover letter, a sixty-odd page consumer survey for me to fill out and a crisp five dollar bill. And I'm not even a resident of Florida, having lived in the SF Bay Area for nearly four decades. But the vaunted research behemoth never thought to ask me that question.

Deciding that $5 wasn't worth it, I sent the whole thing back. Though I wonder if I had filled it out and returned it, would the next ask have been carrying around their PPM?
That does not sound like a radio ratings recruitment call. Those are short and are basically involving trying to convince you to become either a diary participant for an upcoming week or a PPM participant for up to two years.

If diary, they are going to send diaries to everyone in the home, but will count only the returned ones even if not all are filled in. If PPM, they will find out how many residents are in the dwelling unit or household and find out their demographic data on age, gender, ethnicity, etc. Then they will arrange to ship a box with meters, chargers, away from home chargers and other stuff.

For the diary, they don't care if you are not permanent. If you are in the household during the one-week diary period, you can be surveyed. In the PPM if the charger connects in a different market, consistently, they will follow up and disqualify.

What the long survey sounds like is something totally different from one of Nielsen's many other research divisions that not only include TV but consumer behaviour or all kinds. A 60 page survey is not part of a radio audience survey even if it asks about media usage... this is a consumer research project from another division and is not for radio or TV ratings specifically.

So, in that long call, what did they ask about? If it was not a demographic screen (brief) and attempt to recruit for a survey (a week for diary ) it was not a radio survey. For example, a TV survey panel could require wiring your sets to your system (although that is changing towards an "all electronic media" system using the PPM for radio, TV and streaming in the largest markets).

It all depends on the market. In FL, Jax, Orlando, Tampa, Miami and Palm Beach are the PPM markets, with a longer recruit call. The rest are diary markets with a short call, usually following up on a mailed invitation. Since diary participation is just a single 7-day period, the recruiting is very quick and to the point. For PPM, the questions involve getting the hole dwelling unit / household to participate.

That does not sound like a radio ratings recruitment call. Those are short and are basically involving trying to convince you to become either a diary participant for an upcoming week or a PPM participant for up to two years.

If diary, they are going to send diaries to everyone in the home, but will count only the returned ones even if not all are filled in. If PPM, they will find out how many residents are in the dwelling unit or household and find out their demographic data on age, gender, ethnicity, etc. Then they will arrange to ship a box with meters, chargers, away from home chargers and other stuff.

For the diary, they don't care if you are not permanent. If you are in the household during the one-week diary period, you can be surveyed. In the PPM if the charger connects in a different market, consistently, they will follow up and disqualify.

What the long survey sounds like is something totally different from one of Nielsen's many other research divisions that not only include TV but consumer behaviour or all kinds. A 60 page survey is not part of a radio audience survey even if it asks about media usage... this is a consumer research project from another division and is not for radio or TV ratings specifically.

So, in that long call, what did they ask about? If it was not a demographic screen (brief) and attempt to recruit for a survey (a week for diary ) it was not a radio survey. For example, a TV survey panel could require wiring your sets to your system (although that is changing towards an "all electronic media" system using the PPM for radio, TV and streaming in the largest markets).

It all depends on the market. In FL, Jax, Orlando, Tampa, Miami and Palm Beach are the PPM markets, with a longer recruit call. The rest are diary markets with a short call, usually following up on a mailed invitation. Since diary participation is just a single 7-day period, the recruiting is very quick and to the point. For PPM, the questions involve getting the hole dwelling unit / household to participate.
It was Palm Beach County, and my folks lived in a location that, had they owned an artillery gun with a site that could correct for cataracts, might have been able to take out Mar-a Lago's now-famous bathroom/SCIF. (Fortunately for The Donald, having artillery, or even a bazooka, would have violated their development's CC&R's.)

It was not a recruiting call specifically for PPM or diary participation, but I remember a bunch of the questions relating to local media, including newspapers, radio, television and direct mail. But at a certain point, I lost interest in whatever she was asking me. (I was getting hungry, and my wife was getting doing a slow burn.) The first (short) printed questionnaire was more of the same, and the second one was such insignificant remuneration, and I thought Nielsen had chutzpah to be doing that. But it's now more than two years ago and I can't recall any more specifics of their questions.

Back
Top Bottom