• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Markets that don't have full power or OTA PBS affiliate stations

WAXN has always been connected with WSOC-TV. Has that changed?
no. They're still both owned by Cox/Terrier Media. WAXN is the ATSC 3.0 station in the market right now and is hosting the ATSC 3.0 feed of the Big 4 + WAXN. WAXN's ATSC 1.0 stations are spread out amongst the other stations
WAXN 64-1 is on RF23 (WBTV)
Ion Mystery 64-3 is on RF19 (WSOC)
Laff 64-2 is on RF24 (WCNC)

no. They're still both owned by Cox/Terrier Media. WAXN is the ATSC 3.0 station in the market right now and is hosting the ATSC 3.0 feed of the Big 4 + WAXN. WAXN's ATSC 1.0 stations are spread out amongst the other stations
WAXN 64-1 is on RF23 (WBTV)
Ion Mystery 64-3 is on RF19 (WSOC)
Laff 64-2 is on RF24 (WCNC)
I would have thought all WAXN's stations would be on the WSOC-TV channel.

I would have thought all WAXN's stations would be on the WSOC-TV channel.

That's not how they do it. It is a quid pro quo situation, where the host station broadcasts each participating station's X.1 channel in ATSC 3.0, and in return, the participating stations host one or more of the host station's channels, so that the host station can continue broadcasting as usual, only over other stations' subchannels. (The host station's channels are mapped to what they were when they were on ATSC 1.0, so it is transparent to the viewer, except for possibly having to reorient their antenna, or losing some subchannels in suboptimal reception areas.)

I would not swear my life that it is always just the X.1 channel being relayed in ATSC 3.0 and nothing else, nor that, in some cases, the sole channel is something other than X.1 (e.g., where the main network offered by the station is on X.2, X.3, or X.whatever), but that is the usual arrangement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom