• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Major market classic hits stations that don’t use jingles

What are some major market classic hits stations that don’t use jingles? I know some stations seem to use them, rest them, bring them back, etc. The ones that come to mind for me are

94.7 WLS-FM (Chicago/Cumulus)
98.7 KLUV (Dallas/Audacy)
105.7 WROR (Boston/Beasley)
94.5 KOOL-FM (Phoenix/Audacy)
102.7 The Beach (Miami/Audacy)
Sunny 98.1 KXSN (San Diego/Audacy) ?

Honorable mentions are KRTH LA and WIAD in DC, both Audacy. They will run some quick shotguns but the jingles are used very sparingly.

The next ones I can think of are WJJK in Indianapolis and WODC in Columbus. However, Audacy seems to be the most leery as a whole of using them, at least recently. iHeart generally does, Cumulus is hit or miss and just depends on the image of the station.

The KRTH jingles / legal ID used today is barely a resemblance of the long-lost Johnny Mann singers jingles they used for decades. All you hear today is a group of folks yelling K-Earth 101, before going back into the music. Nothing special. The Johnny Mann jingles, is what they were known for, coming out of the KHJ era. Too bad they dumped it.

Add WHCN Hartford to the jingle-less Classic Hits list. It evolved from AOR to Classic Rock to Classic Hits and kept the jingle-free presentation every step of the way.

The KRTH jingles / legal ID used today is barely a resemblance of the long-lost Johnny Mann singers jingles they used for decades. All you hear today is a group of folks yelling K-Earth 101, before going back into the music. Nothing special. The Johnny Mann jingles, is what they were known for, coming out of the KHJ era. Too bad they dumped it.
I still remember those "Entertainment Capitol of The World", "Another 12 in a Row", and all those so called "Themed Weekend" bumpers" they used to have from 1991-2014.

"Also recall hearing "KRTH 101, Los Angeles" at the top of each hour.

And yet, Audacy's premiere Classic Hits station, WCBS-FM, still uses jingles. For stations that don't use jingles, do they think it sounds too Top 40, too unsophisticated?

I still remember those "Entertainment Capitol of The World", "Another 12 in a Row", and all those so called "Themed Weekend" bumpers" they used to have from 1991-2014.

"Also recall hearing "KRTH 101, Los Angeles" at the top of each hour.
Yeah, even this time period (1991-14) has some resemblances to the 80's Johnny Mann jingle era. I remember "The Entertainment Capitol of the World" liner. That was after the music tightening that occurred in 1990 and beyond.

Yeah, even this time period (1991-14) has some resemblances to the 80's Johnny Mann jingle era. I remember "The Entertainment Capitol of the World" liner. That was after the music tightening that occurred in 1990 and beyond.
"Another 12 in a Row" was more 2000-2005 or sometime in 2006. After that it became "Another music marathon, over a half hour of The Greatest Hits on Earth you asked for....Back to Back!"

And yet, Audacy's premiere Classic Hits station, WCBS-FM, still uses jingles. For stations that don't use jingles, do they think it sounds too Top 40, too unsophisticated?
I’m not sure the reasoning - WOMC, WOCL, and WCBS-FM have been spared, as well as smaller market KEYN in Wichita. WOLX in Madison may still have them.
WOGL had them until 2 weeks ago when they rebranded, but they had almost eliminated them before the rebrand. I doubt the new Big 98.1 will ever have them.

This, this, and this will always be the classic KRTH legal ID to me from the mid-late 2000s hearing Charlie Van Dyke say “From the entertainment capital of the world…”. I’ve heard KRTH use one jingle as part of a liner when they return from commercials but that’s it.
So much of what’s in those legal ID’s is gone. I know music evolved and things have to change. But listening to that talent and the effort in those ID’s compared to KRTH today is just sad. I find KRTH today to even lack the personality that the other Audacy classic hits stations have left.

There was even a jingle package produced for KLUV in 2018 that’s on YouTube, but it was barely used because shortly after Audacy decided to move away from jingles on classic hits. They have no problem using them on AC, hot AC, and CHR but not most of their classic hits. Makes no sense.

Back in the day, we thought they sounded un-hip, like they were sung by guys with crew cuts... some said they sounded like toothpaste jingles... talkin' back around Woodstock and beyond...

Back in the day, we thought they sounded un-hip, like they were sung by guys with crew cuts... some said they sounded like toothpaste jingles... talkin' back around Woodstock and beyond...
I will admit the Johnny Mann jingles used by KRTH, KLUV, and others had worn out their welcome by the time they were changed. They no longer fit the music classic hits stations were playing, especially later 70s and 80s material. I know at one point TM was working on re-sings of some of their 80s KIIS packages that would have sounded great on today’s classic hits stations - they did a package of WRQX 80s resings for WIAD which are rarely if ever used now since Audacy has gone in a different direction with jingles. Everyone seems to go with ReelWorld these days except for Cumulus who seems to prefer TM.

Two iHeart stations that don’t use jingles - KLOU in St. Louis and 3WS in Pittsburgh. I know 3WS has had a TON of packages by various groups even until a few years ago so this must be a somewhat recent development.

Last edited:
Are we sure CBS-FM is still using jingles?

I’ve listened for the last hour and I’ve heard Joe Causi, a few sweepers and a ton of cold segues. No jingles.

WMMO 98.9 Orlando doesn't have jingles. Not sure if you would consider Orlando to be a major market.
Any PPM market is a Major Market!

What are some major market classic hits stations that don’t use jingles? I know some stations seem to use them, rest them, bring them back, etc. The ones that come to mind for me are

94.7 WLS-FM (Chicago/Cumulus)
98.7 KLUV (Dallas/Audacy)
105.7 WROR (Boston/Beasley)
94.5 KOOL-FM (Phoenix/Audacy)
102.7 The Beach (Miami/Audacy)
Sunny 98.1 KXSN (San Diego/Audacy) ?

Honorable mentions are KRTH LA and WIAD in DC, both Audacy. They will run some quick shotguns but the jingles are used very sparingly.

The next ones I can think of are WJJK in Indianapolis and WODC in Columbus. However, Audacy seems to be the most leery as a whole of using them, at least recently. iHeart generally does, Cumulus is hit or miss and just depends on the image of the station.
I sampled KOOL a few days ago (hadn't listened to it in several years) and certainly would not call it a Classic Hits station now.

My all time favorite Oldies/CH station was San Francisco's KGO-FM (103.7) back in the day and KYA (1260) before that. Both had great jingles.

I left SF in '68 and it looks as if the Bay Area radio offerings have crashed since then.

"Another 12 in a Row" was more 2000-2005 or sometime in 2006. After that it became "Another music marathon, over a half hour of The Greatest Hits on Earth you asked for....Back to Back!"
I do remember that liner. I don't mind too much the Legal ID group yelling "K-Earth 1 0 1", sounds rather cool.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom