• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LPFM/Pirate HD Radio???

I've heard a rumor and I'm wondering just who's going to be the first Part 15/LPFM/Pirate to pull off broadcasting in HD? Is it even possible???

If you look at the current power levels for HD radio verses the main carrier, the power level for an HD signal on a LPFM would be in the watts range, if that. Somehow I would doubt an LPFM would pony up the cash for either the necessary HD hardware or for what I consider the ridiculous licensing fee.

While traditional broadcast gear is plentiful and somewhat easily available I doubt any pirate would be able to acquire HDFM gear with ease. Then again, he's have a bigger audience by shouting in the middle of a deserted airport field!

Given that the power levels allowed for Part 15 operation on the FM band are ridiculously, unusably low, you could not expect to achieve any kind of useful range with HD, even if you could afford the equipment and licensing fees (which would be prohibitive). AM would be just as bad; consider how poorly HD AM works even on a 50 kW station!

On the other hand, AM stereo is certainly practical on Part 15 AM and does not degrade the range significantly. I own one of the Chris Cuff AM exciters, and it works very well, although the output matching network is not designed for efficient operation. It demonstrates the concept, however.

audioguy said:
On the other hand, AM stereo is certainly practical on Part 15 AM and does not degrade the range significantly. I own one of the Chris Cuff AM exciters, and it works very well, although the output matching network is not designed for efficient operation. It demonstrates the concept, however.

I have one of the ASMAX-1 C-QUAM AM Stereo transmitters from Greece and it's a stellar performer. Perhaps a little impractical for Part 15 use, it still sounds pretty great and it gives me an excuse to haul out all the Sony AM Stereo radios I have in the collection.

I think it would have been better for HD radio if the codec was developed by somebody like Apple, Real or even (gasp!) Microsoft. I think that would have brought a lot of compatibility across from web radio and you would have seen a convergence of over-the-air HD as web radio. I know I'm not rushing to go buy an HD rig anytime in my lifetime - I have all too many radios that work perfectly fine and if I want some obscure programming choice I'll opt for the internet instead of somebody's overly processed HD-2 signal.

If HD Radio takes off (and that's a big IF), the pirate stations will get their hands on HD exciters, and they can run them at whatever power they want. An HD pirate station will go further than an analog pirate at the same power.
At the current power levels, it would be suicide for an LPFM to get an HD exciter. That would eat up a big chunk of their budget and would produce no results.

Nick said:
If HD Radio takes off (and that's a big IF), the pirate stations will get their hands on HD exciters, and they can run them at whatever power they want. An HD pirate station will go further than an analog pirate at the same power.

They can run them at whatever power they want, so long as they are willing to pay hefty fines to the U.S. Treasury. Enjoy perusing the latest Enforcement Bureau actions, mostly involving FM pirates, at this address: http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/

"An HD pirate station will go further than an analog pirate at the same power". Huh? If that was the case, there would be no need for iBiquity to lobby the FCC for a 10x power increase. They are doing that because HD reception is LOUSY for most people in most locations.

Is going all through this kind of trouble with ibocrapnology that isn't working too well with mainstream stations, let alone pirates, really worth the time and trouble? NOT! And who is going to hear the HD signal? Nice to dream, I guess!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom