• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LPFM EAS rules

So a good question is to ask a group of engineers this. "Do LPFM stations that participate in the EAS, have to originate a required weekly test, if not, do they have to relay a received weekly test."

The one thing I know is clear an LPFM needs to re-lay the required monthly test. Lots of information out there and it's all up for interpolation.

So according to FCC rules should an LPFM originate a weekly EAS test. What are they required to do if they choose to take part.

It was my understanding that LPFMs had to monitor and receive EAS but did not have to encode EAS.

Part 11 of the FCC rules covers EAS for ALL included services...Part 11.11 shows the equipment required and LPFMs (analog or digital) are NOT required to have an encoder. 11.15 requires the EAS handbook must be at the normal duty locations...

Part 11.61(a)(1)(i) says: Analog and digital class D non-commercial educational FM, analog and digital LPFM stations, and analog and digital LPTV stations are required to transmit only the test script.

11.61(a)(2)(ii) says: (ii) DBS providers, analog and digital class D non-commercial educational FM stations, analog and digital LPFM stations, and analog and digital LPTV stations are not required to transmit this test but must log receipt, as specified in §11.35(a) and 11.54(a)(3).

SO they must read the text of the RMT on the air but are not required to transmit the EAS tones, etc...they are not required to transmit a RWT at all...but must log any receipts of one from the designated monitored LP1/LP2/WX service in their area.

Running any radio station is enough of a hassle without making extra work for yourself.

To keep life simple, just get one of the encoder/decoder units such as the Sage, or Dasdec. Both store a log internally. Then program them for auto-forwarding of the RMT & whatever weather/emergency alerts relevant for your area. Wouldn't hurt to have the unit run an RWT at at specific time each week. I do this on one of my commercial stations at 12:04 PM every Sunday--I'm almost always in the car at that time of day & hear it run.

If you really want to be safe, program an RWT to run automatically at random times (the Sage will do this, not sure about the Dasdec). You can look at the schedule ahead of time & re-arrange to avoid running in the middle of the wrong program.

Then print the log off the EAS unit once a month, slap a cover sheet on it noting when the RMT was relayed & stick it in a file drawer. In the unlikely event that the station is ever inspected by the FCC, they will grab the previous month--see that the RMT ran (and you are receiving the Monday CAP tests) & go on to something else.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom