• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Low Power Broadcast Auxiliary license

Just curious what people think about operating under a Part 74 license. It is possible to license 87.5 thru 87.9 FM, under 47 CFR 74.801. There are some basic rules and requirements, but it can be done. (I did it, and have a license for .990 watts ERP!) ;D

edarmsttrong said:
Just curious what people think about operating under a Part 74 license. It is possible to license 87.5 thru 87.9 FM, under 47 CFR 74.801. There are some basic rules and requirements, but it can be done. (I did it, and have a license for .990 watts ERP!)

Parts 74.801 through 74.882 allow for licensed use of the 76 to 88 MHz band, but not for "community broadcasting" to be received by the general public.

Licensees are restricted to those involved in program origination such as licensed AM/FM/TV broadcast stations and motion picture producers (see § 74.832 Licensing requirements and procedures).

The transmitter must be FCC type accepted, and for frequencies close to 88 MHz the transmitter must be located a minimum of 65 miles from a licensed TV station using channel 6.

Also according to the clips from § 74.861 below, it appears that an ERP of nearly one watt would not be authorized in this band.

Selected clips from the Rules.

§ 74.801 Definitions.
Low power auxiliary station. An auxiliary
station authorized and operated
pursuant to the provisions set forth in
this subpart. Devices authorized as low
power auxiliary stations are intended
to transmit over distances of approximately
100 meters for uses such as
wireless microphones, cue and control
communications, and synchronization
of TV camera signals.

§ 74.802 Frequency assignment.
(b) Operations in the bands allocated
for TV broadcasting, listed below, are
limited to locations removed from existing
co-channel TV broadcast stations
by not less than the following
distances unless otherwise authorized
by the FCC. (See § 73.609 for zone definitions.)
(1) 54.000–72.000 MHz and 76.000–88.000 MHz:
Zone I 105 km (65 miles)
Zones II and III 129 km (80 miles)

§ 74.831 Scope of service and permissible
transmissions.
The license for a low power auxiliary
station authorizes the transmission of
cues and orders to production personnel
and participants in broadcast programs
and motion pictures and in the
preparation therefor, the transmission
of program material by means of a
wireless microphone worn by a performer
and other participants in a program
or motion picture during rehearsal
and during the actual broadcast,
filming, or recording, or the
transmission of comments, interviews,
and reports from the scene of a remote
broadcast.

§ 74.861 Technical requirements.
(e) For low power auxiliary stations
operating in the bands allocated for TV
broadcasting, the following technical
requirements apply:
(1) The power of the measured
unmodulated carrier power at the output
(antenna input power) may not exceed
the following:
(i) 54–72, 76–88, and 174–216 MHz
bands—50 mW
(f) Unusual transmitting antennas or
antenna elevations shall not be used to
deliberately extend the range of low
power auxiliary stations beyond the
limited areas defined in § 74.831.

Link to the complete Rules http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/cfr/1996/47cfr74.pdf

//

R. Fry said:
§ 74.831 Scope of service and permissible
transmissions.
The license for a low power auxiliary
station authorizes the transmission of
cues and orders to production personnel
and participants in broadcast programs
and motion pictures and in the
preparation therefor, the transmission
of program material
by means of a
wireless microphone worn by a performer
and other participants in a program
or motion picture during rehearsal
and during the actual broadcast,
filming, or recording, or the
transmission of comments, interviews,
and reports from the scene of a remote
broadcast.

Licensees are restricted to those involved in program origination such as licensed AM/FM/TV broadcast stations and motion picture producers .

Suppose I were to transmit an internet stream over a licensed LPBA station, at 87.9 FM, so I could monitor it at remote location that has no internet service. It's not my fault that most FM tuners will receive this frequency. I am not specifically transmitting to the general public. With no promotion or ad sales (underwriting, in this case), am I really operating a 'community broadcast' station?

As a matter of fact, presently, if I drive around my area tuned to 87.9 FM, I hear things that would make an old lady blush- Sirius Satellite radio modulators broadcasting Howard Stern to entire neighborhoods, unedited! I guess that's 'community broadcasting'.

R. Fry said:
(f) Unusual transmitting antennas or
antenna elevations shall not be used to
deliberately extend the range of low
power auxiliary stations beyond the
limited areas defined in § 74.831.

Did you realize that the FCC factors (assumes) a gain of 6 dBd at the antenna, right on the application? Define what constitutes unusual transmitting antennas or antenna elevations, please. If I strap this 50mW transmitter to a Yagi with 13 dBd of gain and set it about 20 feet above ground level on a mountain of 1,950 feet above sea level, is it unusual? I think a 12 bay Shively antenna atop a 400 ft. tower on this mountain may be unusual...in this case.

R. Fry said:
Also according to the clips from § 74.861, it appears that an ERP of nearly one watt would not be authorized in this band.
The FCC will (did) authorize nearly one watt in this band. It's all about the antenna gain. ;)

edarmsttrong said:
Suppose I were to transmit an internet stream over a licensed LPBA station, at 87.9 FM, so I could monitor it at remote location that has no internet service. It's not my fault that most FM tuners will receive this frequency.

That doesn't really meet the permissible use of an LPBA station given in § 74.831. The transmission of program material applies to a wireless microphone worn by a performer and other participants in a program or motion picture during rehearsal and during the actual broadcast, filming, or recording, or the transmission of comments, interviews, and reports from the scene of a remote broadcast."

As far as ERP / antenna gain, that issue is moot if the use of the LPBA station does not comply with § 74.831. But if § 74.831 isn't followed, then such an operator probably wouldn't worry about ERP, anyway.

Paragraph 74.801 gives an expected range of about 100 meters for these systems. An ERP of 1 watt is far greater than needed for a range of 100 meters.

//

So, a microphone connected to an audio mixer, which is connected to a part 74 type accepted transmitter does not qualify as a 'wireless microphone'?

The 'wireless microphone' needs to be 'worn by a performer and other participants'?

I disagree, because the license authorizes use of these frequencies for IFB communications. The audio on an IFB circuit usually conists of program audio and cues. I don't know of any 'worn' IFB transmitters. They are usually rack mounted.

I feel that this issue, Mr. Fry, is not black and white, but a dark shade of grey.

But, at any rate, this whole issue will be a moot point very soon. By this time next year, your friends at the FCC are planning to permit UNLICENSED operation on these frequencies, with up to 4 watts EIRP, by way of TVBD's (or, so called 'white space devices').

From the FCC rules adopted last year-

"Fixed devices will be allowed to operate at up to 1 watt (W) transmitter output power and
with a gain antenna to achieve 4 W equivalent isotropically radiated
power (EIRP), and to communicate with other fixed devices and personal/
portable devices, except that they may not communicate with personal/
portable devices when operating on channels in the range 2-20. The plan
for fixed devices is similar to the provisions of the draft standard
for TVBDs under consideration by IEEE 802.22."

Of course, these devices will have to protect LICENSED users of the spectrum, like me.

I can hear my legal ID now, 'This is WXXX234, camera 2 pan right!' :eek:

From the FCC Website-

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=broadcast_auxiliary

"Broadcast Auxiliary authorization is available to licensees of Broadcast stations and to Broadcast or Cable Network entities. Certain entities involved in production activities are also eligible for Low Power Broadcast Auxiliary authorizations. Broadcast Auxiliary stations are used for relaying broadcast aural and television signals. They can be used to relay signals from the studio to the transmitter, or between two points, such as a main studio and an auxiliary studio. The Broadcast Auxiliary services also include mobile TV pickups and remote pickup stations which relay signals from a remote location, back to the studio."

I do not see anything that limits LPBA licensees to a 'wireless microphone'...

I remember a guy who tried to use his Auxiliary License to
broadcast to the general population in NYC. It lasted a few
weeks.

The FCC did not like it.

Flying-Dutchman said:
I remember a guy who tried to use his Auxiliary License to
broadcast to the general population in NYC. It lasted a few
weeks.

The FCC did not like it.

That guy had a previous 'track record' with the Commision. You know they were out to get him. Do you remember what happened to him in 1987? Today, he owns 3 real radio stations- one on each broadcast band. The FCC didn't seem to hold anything against him, did they?

The fact is that I am a legitimate program producer, licensed to use spectrum. The ability of the general population to receive my audio distribution feed, is purely incidental. Heck, I'll use 87.7 MHz instead, if it will make people feel better. Then, people in my neighborhood might still have a use for their old analog TV set!

Now you have me thinking...maybe I should apply for a Ch. 6 LPTV (if and/or when the window opens)...then I actually could have a real FM station! An Arbitron rated, commercial 3 Kw facility!!! Just like WNYZ-LP... ;D

Can someone tell me whether or not it is possible to use this service in the same manner as Part 15 AM or perhaps as a STL for a Part 15 AM station? Ed mentioned the FCC is going to permit higher power for this unlicensed service which makes it attractive to use for either of these applications.

edarmsttrong said:
Heck, I'll use 87.7 MHz instead, if it will make people feel better. Then, people in my neighborhood might still have a use for their old analog TV set!

You'll need to transmit a carrier on 83.2 MHz also, then. Most analog TV sets recover program audio by demodulating the 4.5 MHz difference signal between the visual and aural carriers.

And they might sound bad, because analog TV sets are designed for an aural FM carrier with +/-25 kHz deviation, max, rather than the +/-75 kHz used in FM broadcast.

//

William C. Walker said:
Can someone tell me whether or not it is possible to use this service in the same manner as Part 15 AM or perhaps as a STL for a Part 15 AM station? Ed mentioned the FCC is going to permit higher power for this unlicensed service which makes it attractive to use for either of these applications.

I'm not familiar with all of the rules for TVBDs. But, it may be possible. Check out the complete FCC Part 15 updates, adopted in November of 2008, and out in the Federal Register on Feb 17th of this year. There is still some legal wrangling going on, but I expect the FCC do what it said it would. Allow the use of these devices.

http://www.marcus-spectrum.com/documents/TVBDErrata.pdf

R. Fry said:
You'll need to transmit a carrier on 83.2 MHz also, then. Most analog TV sets recover program audio by demodulating the 4.5 MHz difference signal between the visual and aural carriers.

And they might sound bad, because analog TV sets are designed for an aural FM carrier with +/-25 kHz deviation, max, rather than the +/-75 kHz used in FM broadcast.

//

In this case, I'd require a different license. A low power video assist license. Hey, then I really can own a TV station! Hmm...I hope people like to watch NTSC color bars. :D

Ed. I took a look at the links and I can't find anything indicating that program content is going to be regulated. I'd say it would be possible to use this new system for a Part 15 STL.

Is this service only for audio service or will it be possible to add video to the channel? Part 15 TV is a good concept and could find a niche much in the same manner that Part 15 AM and FM stations do in various communities.

William C. Walker said:
Ed. I took a look at the links and I can't find anything indicating that program content is going to be regulated. I'd say it would be possible to use this new system for a Part 15 STL.

Is this service only for audio service or will it be possible to add video to the channel? Part 15 TV is a good concept and could find a niche much in the same manner that Part 15 AM and FM stations do in various communities.

I am not so sure Part 15 TV would ever be legal...although, it would be cool!

The TVBDs are, and someone should correct me if I am wrong, going to be useable for data transmission. So, while I think you would be able to use them for an STL application for Part 15, I don't think it could be used for NTSC / ATSC TV or actual aural modulation. In other words, if you use a stream to get the audio to your Part 15 transmitter, you won't have to acquire interntet service. You could use you own TVBDs and be your own, private service provider. I don't see anything in the rules that would prevent you from feeding multiple Part 15 transmitters from a fixed TVBD.

Think of it as a high powered, license free 'WiFi' system. It is kinda neat! ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom