• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Location, location, location.. Tacoma to Western Alaska!

This is the perfect example of location, location, location when talking about DXing. I am about 1600 miles away from Tacoma, in West Central Alaska and KKMO Tacoma is only 5KW non directional but its quite often listenable all night.

Here's an audio clip of how KKMO sounds up here on my TEF6686 and loop antenna with a preamp.. this isn't too unusual:

KKMO's tower is RIGHT on the water.. and as I've discovered here with hearing stations like KNRY 1240 Monterey, CA(tower is in the water!) and KATA 1340 Arcata, CA (its right near the water)... that closeness to water make a big difference for me.

It's one of my more constant/reliable Seattle signals, pretty close to KOM, er KNWN 1000. I have heard most Seattle area AM's at one time or another. When KMIA 1210 Auburn-Federal Way, WA has not powered down in the past, it blasts in way stronger than KOMO.

KKMO is very listenable all through the northwest, I find. At my apartment in the lower maindland of BC, I can hear KKMO as well as most other Seattle AMs. I grew up within five miles (as the crow flies) from their unique transmitter.

Back
Top Bottom