• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Listening to HD Radio

radioguy1

Inactive
Inactive User
I have been listening to the HD Radio streams on Clear Channels site and found some similar problems on the few stations I have heard. Although their imaging is great and the occasional canned announcements have added to the sound what happens almost regularly is the music stops! When I check the feed it is still streaming but a song will end and ......silence. Switch to another feed and music again.

Is this happening on the HD signals?

It's almost like the old days of automation when somebody forgot to rack up the next reel.

Are they covering up spots? Some stations I listened to online were running everything but the spots. Smart, stop giving away the store. Plus, I don't think you can run spots on HD2 and 3.

> Are they covering up spots? Some stations I listened to
> online were running everything but the spots. Smart, stop
> giving away the store. Plus, I don't think you can run spots
> on HD2 and 3.
>
Too bad they didn't cover up the spots with music.

WCRB -2 has comercials.

> > Are they covering up spots? Some stations I listened to
> > online were running everything but the spots. Smart, stop
> > giving away the store. Plus, I don't think you can run
> spots
> > on HD2 and 3.
> >
> Too bad they didn't cover up the spots with music.
>
> WCRB -2 has comercials.
>

I believe the "no commercials" requirement is only for members of the HD Radio Alliance.

As WCRB's owner (Charles River Broadcasting) isn't a member of the alliance, it's fine for them to air commercials. But if for some reason Greater Media (a member of the alliance) wanted to continue the format once the sale closes, they'll have to ditch the commercials.

> I believe the "no commercials" requirement is only for
> members of the HD Radio Alliance.
>
>
Is CBS Radio a member of the HD Radio Alliance? The reason I'm asking is because CBS Radio's WCBS-FM HD-2 in New York plays one commercial set an hour. Don't get me wrong... I can stand to put up with three or four minutes of commercials an hour. Technically, should they be playing commercials (assuming CBS Radio IS part of the alliance)?

> > I believe the "no commercials" requirement is only for
> > members of the HD Radio Alliance.
> >
> >
> Is CBS Radio a member of the HD Radio Alliance? The reason
> I'm asking is because CBS Radio's WCBS-FM HD-2 in New York
> plays one commercial set an hour. Don't get me wrong... I
> can stand to put up with three or four minutes of
> commercials an hour. Technically, should they be playing
> commercials (assuming CBS Radio IS part of the alliance)?
>

I just looked into it. The original members of the alliance were Bonneville, Citadel, Clear Channel, Cumulus, Emmis, Entercom, Greater Media and CBS Radio; I believe that a few other companies may have been added.

Also, the HD2 stations must be commercial-free for two years. So yes, with commercials on WCBS-FM-2, CBS would be violating the agreement. But who would punish/fine them?

(source: <a target="_blank" href=http://billboardradiomonitor.com/radiomonitor/news/business/digital/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001614923>http://billboardradiomonitor.com/radiomonitor/news/business/digital/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001614923</a>)

> WCRB -2 has comercials.
>

The <a target="_blank" href=http://www.wcrb.com>WCRB</a> web site is down and all I can find are stories about requiring a commitment to classical programming on their HD-2 stream by any future owners. Have they been sold, and/or what are they doing on their HD-2? WGMS HD-2 runs vocal classical in the nation's capital.<P ID="signature">______________
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subs¢riber
Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology
______________</P>

> > WCRB -2 has comercials.
> >
>
> The WCRB web site is down and all I can find are stories
> about requiring a commitment to classical programming on
> their HD-2 stream by any future owners. Have they been
> sold, and/or what are they doing on their HD-2? WGMS HD-2
> runs vocal classical in the nation's capital.

Here's what happening. WCRB is being sold from locally-owned Charles River Broadcasting to Greater Media. Prior to his death in 1991, the founder of Charles River Broadcasting (Ted Jones) placed the station in a trust to ensure that the station would not change format for 100 years.

Late last year, the management of Charles River decided to sell the station to Greater Media. They decided that rather than requiring the buyer of WCRB to retain the low-billing classical format, they would instead require all future owners of the station to run classical music on WCRB's HD2 stream.

Rather than run classical music on WCRB's HD2 feed, Greater Media has started running an automated classical format on FM talker WTKK's HD2, which will remain and will allow WCRB's new format (expected to be the intellectual property of sister WKLB) to have an HD2 format that matches the main signal (which, if WKLB, would be classic country). In the meantime, Charles River still owns WCRB, along with several other stations and the satellite-delivered "World Classical Network". Just to do something more innovative than an HD1 simulcast, WCRB has fed the "World Classical Network" onto HD2.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom