• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Leo Laporte Signs Off

This isn't totally surprising, but is kind of a downer too. Leo did a great job of being informative, entertaining, and authoritative while not being condescending at the same time. Easier said than done considering the subject matter and the type of questions that came in regularly.

As a replacement, DeMuro seems like a solid choice to me.

While I too am sad to see that Leo is retiring from "radio", he still has TWIT. And he an Micah Sergeant are doing a live podcast on Sundays only in the same timeslot that he and Rick DeMuro is on Saturdays. So I will see how different DeMuro's show will be going forward. I always enjoyed Leo over Kim Komando because Komando is a lot like Jim Rome and Dave Ramsey in that they were 90's titans that are about selling themselves and being condescending at times to callers as they have been in the game WAY TOO LONG I feel. As for Leo whose career also includes TechTV, this only another footnote in a legendary career. I also feel he took the baton from The Computer Chronicles as well. Now it's up to Micah Sergeant to keep it going for the latest in tech news.

... and Leo has a terrific radio voice. It's full, rich, and soothing.

Interesting note from the press release: Apparently Mr. DeMuro will be hosting a Saturday show only. Leo Laporte has done this show Saturday and Sunday afternoons. That will open up a hole on a lot of the affiliates for the show.

I remember Leo Laporte at one point was on KGO-AM San Francisco when he had a segment with Ronn Owens. But that was when he was then associated with Tech TV.

This was before Leo Laporte's production company had formed the Twit.tv studios and offices in the Petaluma area where all of their shows are done.

https://twit.tv/about/contact

Yes here is the Bio of Leo Laporte that includes his time on San Francisco radio outlets like KGO-AM and KSFO-AM at one point.

Laporte has written software for CP/M, Macintosh, and PC compatible computers, and co-authored 101 Computer Answers You Need to Know. He wrote four best-selling technology almanacs, including Leo Laporte’s 2003 Technology Almanac, which was named Pearson Publishing’s “Book of the Year” in 2003.

In 1991, Laporte created and co-hosted the syndicated Dvorak on Computers, which also broadcasted on the Armed Forces Radio Network. In addition, he hosted Laporte on Computers on KSFO and KGO radio in San Francisco; the weekly TV show Internet! on PBS; and The Lab with Leo, a daily hour-long television show which aired in Canada on G4TechTV and Australia on the HOW-TO Channel.

I have enjoyed when Rick DeMuro has been on the air for Leo Laporte. He has a completely different style from LaPorte who has a tendency drag on with the caller. DeMuro knows how to give information very succinctly and to the point. I also think that the non-computer segments such "Johnny Jet" also made the show drag on. I think it is DeMuro's past career work in TV news is what makes him so.

I think the Sunday show was canceled due to lack of carriage by the affiliates. The Sunday show with more non-computer segments made that show drag even more with the segments on astronomy, automobile stuff, etc.

Perhaps down the road the show may be re-expanded.

LaPorte's TWIT company handled the advertising. I wonder if LaPorte will keep doing that.

The very few times I listened to Leo LaPorte, I found him irritating . When he finally takes a phone call after babbling on and on about things like "here's what I did last week"...real boring radio. When he brings on a caller, he will talk about everything boring (How's the weather up there in Seattle?), before finally getting to the tech reason for the call. I kept hoping he would shut up and get to the point. Wastes so much time on a phone call, he could taken 2 more calls, to help more people. if only he knew when to stop talking. Also, I tell could tell some of the callers we're thinking the same thing

PT Board Op says>>>> Interesting note from the press release: Apparently Mr. DeMuro will be hosting a Saturday show only. Leo Laporte has done this show Saturday and Sunday afternoons. That will open up a hole on a lot of the affiliates for the show.<<<<<

I think the syndicated show is only three hours. I suppose he does two 3-hour shows each weekend for KFI but only one of those is heard outside of So. Cal.

PT Board Op says>>>> Interesting note from the press release: Apparently Mr. DeMuro will be hosting a Saturday show only. Leo Laporte has done this show Saturday and Sunday afternoons. That will open up a hole on a lot of the affiliates for the show.<<<<ng
I think the syndicated show is only three hours. I suppose he does two 3-hour shows each weekend for KFI but only one of those is heard outside of So. Cal.
Rich DeMuro was on with Bill Handel this morning for half an hour doing the Tech Report on KFI. Right away he announced his new gig and talked about it. He said that KTLA-TV management was concerned about him taking on the radio show as it might interfere with him already working full time as KTLA's tech reporter. He didn't say exactly, but he's probably doing Saturday only as a compromise with management.

There's not an LA only version of the show. KFI only airs the same nationally syndicated show everyone else hears

No, there have been two separate shows on Premiere Networks for many years.

OK, so the syndicated Tech Guy has two airings each weekend, a three hour show on Saturdays and another three hour show on Sundays. (The Wikipedia page for The Tech Guy only talks about one airing, but Wikipedia may not be that reliable.)

On most iHeart talk stations that carry The Tech Guy, it usually airs only once. (Some larger market iHeart stations, such as WOR NYC and WRKO Boston, don't air it, since the weekend schedule is non-stop infomercials.)

In smaller markets I do see The Tech Guy scheduled for both Saturday and Sunday. But I thought they were just double running the same show. In those small markets, they often double run the other weekend Premiere Network shows, such as Handel on The Law and At Home with Gary Sullivan, once on Saturday, once on Sunday, since they don't have much other programming to air.

I remember Leo La Porte at KNBR in S.F., when that station was still 'full service', and he did a combined general talk/music format, which frequently included some tech guests. He left KNBR at the end of 1990(presumably because the station had gone mostly sports talk), and soon resurfaced at KGO.
I'll admit, I found him overly chatty and 'bubbly' at times on his old show, but it's clear he really developed an interest in technology, and leaned into it, for an impressive run.

But I thought they were just double running the same show. In those small markets, they often double run the other weekend Premiere Network shows, such as Handel on The Law and At Home with Gary Sullivan, once on Saturday, once on Sunday, since they don't have much other programming to air.
"At Home" is also fresh shows both Saturday & Sunday. Not sure about Handel because no station I've worked at aired that show.

OK, so the syndicated Tech Guy has two airings each weekend, a three hour show on Saturdays and another three hour show on Sundays. (The Wikipedia page for The Tech Guy only talks about one airing, but Wikipedia may not be that reliable.)

On most iHeart talk stations that carry The Tech Guy, it usually airs only once. (Some larger market iHeart stations, such as WOR NYC and WRKO Boston, don't air it, since the weekend schedule is non-stop infomercials.)

In smaller markets I do see The Tech Guy scheduled for both Saturday and Sunday. But I thought they were just double running the same show. In those small markets, they often double run the other weekend Premiere Network shows, such as Handel on The Law and At Home with Gary Sullivan, once on Saturday, once on Sunday, since they don't have much other programming to air.
There were two different shows. He often recaps the Saturday show on Sunday....

I remember Leo Laporte hosting the Midday show on 103.7 KLOK-FM in San Francisco from 1984-86! He was a good DJ! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom