• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LCD Calibration

rocknrollisdead

Inactive
Inactive User
Happy Holidaze, everyone!

Here's my Q: I just bought a 46" Sony LCD TV from Best Buy and the sales guy went on and on that I *must* have my tv calibrated. That it would extend the life of my new tv by 15% and it would give me blacker blacks, whiter whites, etc.

What says you? ???

I never heard of it extending the life of a unit, but I know there seems to be a trend that the upper end home theatre shops sell calibration DVDs for that purpose. I haven't made the plunge yet, but a few videophiles I know swear by them.

errrrrrrright....

And who is gonna make sure all your tv channels (sources) are "calibrated"?

The scams are never-ending.

(If the sales guys are smart enough to figure out the remote, the display models are set up to look good in the store. If they sold you THAT set, it might look a little weird at home. Most sets have a variety of "standard" set ups, anyway.

TomT said:
errrrrrrright....

And who is gonna make sure all your tv channels (sources) are "calibrated"?

The scams are never-ending.

(If the sales guys are smart enough to figure out the remote, the display models are set up to look good in the store. If they sold you THAT set, it might look a little weird at home. Most sets have a variety of "standard" set ups, anyway.

That's what I'm reading in LOTS of blogs. I set my tv to "standard" and it looks great!

It seems the few folks I know are either very misinformed or very misled as a couple of them are under the impression their screen are set up better than their friends, etc. Of course, one gent works in broadcast television so he actually has a lot more than a typical consumer calibration disc.

I have yet to even consider buy a new HD LCD unit, but I've seen units in such places like Wal-mart look quite good so there's can't be any rocket science to setting these things up. If a typical salesperson can get the unit to look good in the store I don't see any reason why one would need a calibration disc.

I would also think the picture is somewhat open to personal taste as well, just like loudspeakers. I know people who don't care for oversaturated skin tones while I know a few who like really vibrant color.

Of course, it will look >MUCH< better using the store's high dollar HDMI and audio hookup cables. I watched some p[oor schmoe get fished for near two hundred bux for cables on an HD setup he had bought. The HDMI was 'Gold, that works much better". Just like the one I got at the parts house for $7. The dish company installers are ont othe same scam.

I don't normally watch a lot of color bars or crosshatch patterns, so I set mine up on the programming I normally watch. I do sorta like the Indian on the old analog silde though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom